For 75 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about. Job SummarySALARY: The salary range for this position is $155,000 - $185,000. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
Responsible for the development and implementation of policies, procedures and programs to ensure the environmental health and safety (EHS) compliance of the Mattawan, MI facility and the Safety Assessment business. Collaborate on the development and implementation of both corporate and site initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute/lead the development and implementation of site/Corporate policies and procedures targeted toward increasing the safety and protection of the environment. Ensure facility compliance with applicable environment health and safety regulations.
- Implement an EHS compliance audit program for the site, track and report status of corrective/preventative actions, and provide escalation to senior management where intervention or oversight is required.
- Manage the onsite EH&S group and medical clinic.
- Conduct reviews at appropriate intervals with site senior management.
- Consult with Corporate management and employees on US regulatory compliance related issues. Work with US/site senior management to ensure proper training programs are established with regards to environmental and health and safety compliance.
- Responsible for timely submission of environmental reports/permits to US regulatory agencies.
- Lead/participate in continuous improvement initiatives that improve process and continue to decrease injuries.
- Support/lead applicable programs to ensure business continuity of identified risk areas.
- Provide lead support and formal response to EHS agency inspections conducted by US regulatory bodies and audits by our clients.
- Manage moderate size capital infrastructure projects from inception to completion. Develop program budgets and schedules in support of initiatives.
- Monitor and drive progress of projects and programs, maintaining budgets and schedules.
- Lead the selection process for hiring third party service firms, evaluating proposals, conducting interviews and making recommendations to senior management.
- Consult with Corporate Engineering, Company management and workplace staff to identify and resolve potential EHS issues through engineering design changes or other means necessary.
- Lead development and implementation of site programs with cross-functional teams including LOTO, machine guarding, permit-to-work, contractor management, ergonomic and risk assessments, electrical safety/Arc flash, etc.
- Knowledge of process safety and risk assessment tools and techniques (i.e. FMEA, HAZOP, What-if, etc.)
- Establish and lead site safety committee with knowledge of work risk assessment, near miss education, etc.
- Serve as lead to develop and implement site emergency response plans including catastrophic event planning, evacuations, hazardous material handling/spills, first responders, etc.
- Knowledgeable in incident command organizational structure/operation.
- Lead efforts to reduce occupational health exposures (i.e. noise reduction, respirators, chemical, etc.)
- Lead site EHS investigations and incident reporting including root cause analysis problem solving, incident prevention, etc.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
About Safety Assessment
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in scientific area (i.e. engineering, chemistry, biology) or related discipline.
- Experience: 10+ years related experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Preference for Chemical Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Hazardous Materials Management (CHMM), and Occupational Health
- Other: Sound working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and government regulatory requirements and guidelines. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Project. In‑depth knowledge of environment, health and safety regulations required. Ability to communicate and influence senior management on EHS compliance initiatives.
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 300 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected]. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.