Application WindowOpen date:
November 14, 2023 Most recent review date:
Wednesday, Nov 29, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled. Final date:
Wednesday, May 14, 2025 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Human Microbiome Research
The UCSF Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine seeks a computational biologist to join the Benioff Center for Microbiome Medicine (BCMM). Located at the University of California San Francisco, the BCMM supports the community of researchers on campus focused on leveraging the human microbiome to predict, prevent and treat disease. The successful candidate will work in partnership with other BCMM staff and UCSF researchers to lead and facilitate a range of research studies performed in collaboration with investigators across all four schools on campus. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to study design and to apply bioinformatic and statistical tools to enable analysis of shotgun metagenomic, metabolomic, transcriptomic, immunologic and clinical data. Familiarity with integrative multi-dimensional data analysis is a significant advantage.
Candidates will be expected to work both collaboratively and independently. Those with the proven capacity to effectively communicate and a track record in productively contributing to collaborative multidisciplinary teams to support grant, manuscript and report preparation will be given preference. The successful candidates will report to Dr. Susan Lynch, Director of the Benioff Center for Microbiome Medicine.
Enabling leadership and professional development opportunities is central to the BCMM culture. Candidates will have opportunities to collaborate with team members within BCMM's various Co-labs (microbial genomics, metabolomics, microbial culture and gnotobiotic mouse facilities) and other UCSF investigators on projects ad and co-author scientific publications. They will also work with Dr. Lynch to create a tailored professional development plan to further their career goals.
• Lead analytical efforts for human microbiome studies including the application of integrative analytical tools for multi-modal data integration.
• Apply statistical tools to enable independent and integrated analyses of shotgun metagenomic, metabolomic, transcriptomic, immunologic and/or clinical data.
• Apply and develop new bioinformatic tools as necessary for integrative analyses of multi-dimensional datasets.
• Present updates and findings at group and scientific meetings and contribute to manuscript preparation for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
• Contribute to research as part of a large multidisciplinary team.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Statistics, Microbial Ecology, or a related discipline.
• Specialist appointed at the Full rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) in Bioinformatics, Statistics, Microbial Ecology, or a related discipline.
• Applicants must have obtained the required degree for the Specialist rank by the time of hire.
• Knowledge and understanding of bioinformatics tools for metagenomic assembly, genome binning and strain-level genome reconstruction.
• Knowledge of bioinformatics tools for transcriptomic analysis including dual RNASeq analysis.
• Experience with relational databases, R, and other Unix tools is key.
Additional Desired Qualifications
• Demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative research team and effectively interact with a broad range of researchers from distinct disciplines.
• Ability to work independently and productively and to troubleshoot.
• Superb organizational and data management skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated capacity to accurately and effectively present projects to multi-disciplinary audiences.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions and may participate in University and Public Service. Appointment to a rank within the specialist series will be based on qualifications and experience:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
Please apply online at . Applicants' materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
See Table 24B for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $70,500-$181,800.
Application RequirementsDocument requirements
- Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: Contributions to Diversity Statement
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
About UC San Francisco
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Job locationSan Francisco, CA