HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you're part of something bigger, it's because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together-researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It's time for a career you can be proud of. Sr Principal Scientist - Computational Biology AI/ML Live What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. Amgen leverages commercially available and proprietary machine learning (ML) platforms to connect our research scientists with new insights about target or disease biology, therapeutic candidates, and ultimately to help shape our therapeutic portfolio. These platforms ingest, organize, and interpret vast and diverse information sources, including biomedical literature, knowledge bases, product catalogs, and patents, in addition to Amgen internal information.
We are seeking a biologist with a strong understanding of therapeutic discovery and machine learning - particularly natural language processing (NLP) and large language models (LLMs) - to help guide and implement internal strategy for leveraging and developing such platforms. The ideal candidate will have experience with (i) discovery biology in biopharma, (ii) modeling of biological systems, and (iii) operating successfully in interdisciplinary teams of biologists, chemists, and digital technologists.
The selected candidate will be a member of the Amgen Center for Research Acceleration by Digital Innovation (CRADI), which internalizes and develops new data scientific methodologies to accelerate therapeutic discovery and development. The candidate will also have close collaborative ties with the discovery biology organization and other Research functions. Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a focused team of digital biologists that operate AI/ML-based therapeutic insight platforms to assist therapeutic project teams in:
revealing new knowledge about their targets or therapeutic candidates designing the shortest experimental paths to build target conviction risk/efficacy assessment of proposed therapeutic strategies
Win What we expect of you
- Engage with Amgen's Portfolio Stewardship lead and other senior R&D leaders and Program Team Leads to translate AI/ML-driven biological insights into accelerated delivery and improved success rates
- Take an active role in ML/AI development (e.g. NLP, LLMs, VAEs), information system infrastructure, and establishment of best practices in advanced knowledge base and scientific document analytics
- Train a select group of research colleagues in the use of these AI/ML-based platforms
- Work closely with scientists to discover and validate new targets and biomarkers
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a leader with these qualifications. Basic Qualifications:
Doctorate degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 3 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and development Or
Master's degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 6 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and development Or
Bachelor's degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 8 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and development Preferred Qualifications:
Thrive What you can expect of us
- Doctoral degree in biology and 8+ years of experience in discovery biology in Oncology, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease, or Inflammation
- A Master's degree in statistical modeling, machine learning, or AI, or equivalent experience
- Experience with transformers and LLMs, as well as cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience with generative modeling of biological systems/data
- Experience with leading external collaborations and partnerships
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
Apply Now for a career that defies imagination
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us. careers.amgen.com
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.