Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those arent words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. Youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
The primary focus of the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Senior Specialist will be to support the evolution and implementation of Bristol-Myers Squibb Global Environmental Occupational Health Safety and Sustainability Standards at the Bristol-Myers Redwood City and Brisbane Research and Early Development sites. This role will maintain Environmental, Health and Safety support to ensure worker safety, environmental stewardship, regulatory compliance, and adherence to BMS Global Standards.
The EHS Specialist will work as part of a team to manage all required Work Practices, Standard Operating Procedures, documentation, training, inspection records, communications, and performance metrics to ensure best practices and compliance with all relevant state and federal regulations and Bristol-Myers Squibb Global EOHSS Standards.Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Champion key EHS initiatives such as Green Labs Program, Risk Assessments, Industrial Hygiene Monitoring, Ergonomics, Contractor Safety, Chemical Hygiene, and Biosafety programs
- EHS systems and database administration: Leverage the BMS EHS Management System Platform to manage BMS Sustainability initiatives, inspections, Facility Self-Assessments, Industrial Hygiene, and corrective actions
- EHS training platform coordination assist with the administration and tracking of EHS training content on company learning platforms
- Assist in the maintenance of Bay Area EOHSS Standard Operating Procedures, site Work Instructions, and plans to help ensure continued improvement of facility and organization EHS performance.
- BMS EOHSS Standards Integration work: assist in deployment of documentation to align existing programs with Bristol-Myers Squibb Global Environmental, Occupational Health, Safety, and Sustainability requirements
- Support implementation of incident and near miss reporting and investigation process, ensures communication to appropriate management, and/or implementation of necessary preventive measures.
- Assist with the management of EHS PPE deployment programs such as safety footwear and prescriptions safety glasses
- Schedule and coordinate Ergonomic Assessments as needed for employees. Manage any required follow up equipment or tools to ensure end customer satisfaction
- Act as liaison with Facilities, Lab Services, and Research departments to facilitate design and implementation of site projects with EHS impacts.
- Assist in tracking and coordination of EHS permit renewals, regulatory deadlines, training requirements and other internal compliance timelines.
- Assist in the administration of contractor safety program and associated Work Permits, Job Hazard Analysis, and any required documentation.
- Minimum education of a Bachelors degree in safety or environmental sciences related field; Chemistry, Biology, or closely related scientific field.
- Minimum of two (2) to five (5) plus years of industry experience, preferably within a laboratory setting.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable federal, state, and local environmental health and safety regulations and procedures that apply to the biotech industry.
- Knowledge of safety and environmental principles and regulations is necessary.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using effective and appropriate judgment.
- Manage multiple projects/tasks, effectively prioritize tasks, communication skills and timely closure of assignments.
- Strong in database management and technical writing experience a plus
- SharePoint, SuccessFactors, and Veeva Vault (CelDox) experience a plus
The starting compensation for this job in California is a range from $79,000 - $100,000, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed. Final, individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our careers site may vary based on the job and location. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Career Site.
Benefit offerings are subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans then in effect and may include the following: Medical, pharmacy, dental and vision care. Wellbeing support such as the BMS Living Life Better program and employee assistance programs (EAP). Financial well-being resources and a 401(K). Financial protection benefits such as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, supplementalhealth insurance, business travel protection and survivor support. Work-life programs include paid national holidays and optional holidays,Global Shutdown days between Christmas and New Years holiday, up to 120 hours of paid vacation, up to two (2) paid days to volunteer, sick time off, and summer hours flexibility. Parental, caregiver, bereavement, and military leave. Family care services such as adoption andsurrogacy reimbursement, fertility/infertility benefits, support for traveling mothers, and child, elder and pet care resources. Other perks liketuition reimbursement and a recognition program.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesnt perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career. Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as Transforming patients lives through science , every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.On-site Protocol
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.