More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Exciting and interesting technical challenges await when you join a world-class research team dedicated to reducing the impact of natural hazards and climate risks. FM Global is a market leader in commercial and industrial property insurance and loss prevention, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000 companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art engineering and research.
The Structures and Natural Hazards research group at FM Global is looking for a creative, self-motivated individual. The selected candidate will work alongside a unique group of scientists across engineering, earth, and atmospheric sciences to protect the value of FM Global clients' businesses by developing methods to identify hazards, assess risk, and produce loss prevention solutions that are efficient and cost-effective. The position provides an opportunity to engage in solving real-world science and engineering problems with immediate impact.
This position is for a limited term of up to three years, renewable each year. This position will be based out of our FM Global Office located in Norwood MA, USA. The role is typically focused on performing publishable work as part of a strategic research program under the guidance of a program manager or other senior research staff member(s).
Ideal candidates will have a strong desire to expand their research experience beyond academia and bring expertise and innovative leadership in the fields of geodetic data mining, analysis, and assimilation.
The ideal candidate will be able to (1) compile and analyze multi-decadal geodetic data documenting ground deformation, (2) create tools to gain value from these data and visualize hazards or vulnerabilities under different management and climate scenarios, and (3) develop an integrative approach to quantify natural and anthropogenic drivers of the observed ground motion (e.g., GIA, tectonic, groundwater pumping, natural compaction, permafrost thaw, peatland/wetland loss, etc.).Required:
- PhD degree in Earth Sciences or Geophysics (or related quantitative field).
- Solid knowledge of the fundamentals of space geodesy and process-level understanding of ground deformation, including land subsidence.
- Demonstrated expertise with remote sensing data including InSAR and GNSS data processing and interpretation.
- Demonstrated experience with at least two of the following: (1) geodetic data assimilation and statistical analyses, (2) programming techniques in working with large spatial datasets, (3) land subsidence monitoring and modelling, and (4) developing and evaluating statistical or numerical models.
- Strong analytical skills and solid experience with GIS tools (ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL).
- Experience in writing scripts for process automation, excellent programming skills in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, MATLAB, Java, R.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated effectiveness communicating highly technical and scientific insights to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently, think creatively, and to interact within a team.
- Solid research record, including publications.
- Experience in high-performance computing or cloud computing.
- Experience in applying Machine Learning in Earth and Space Sciences.
The hiring range for this position dependent on final grade and title is $85,800 to $123,300 USD. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global's comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce. #LI-TA1