Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home. By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network? Join us-Where your Career is a Force for Good!Job Description: WHY CHOOSE US?
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. When you join our team, you have a direct impact on a meaningful mission, and you can help save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. Work where your career is a force for good.
We are committed to the diversity of our workforce and to delivering our programs and services in a culturally competent manner reflecting the communities we serve. Our work environment is collaborative, respectful, and inclusive with a focus on building allyship and a culture of belonging that empowers all team members. Come to learn, grow, and succeed while sharing your passion for making a difference.
The Red Cross supports a variety of cultural and community resource groups for employees and volunteers. From the Ability Network, our Asian American & Pacific Islander Resource Group, the Latino Resource Group, and Red Cross PRIDE, to the Umoja African American Resource Group, our Veterans+ Resource Group, and the Women's Resource Group, these networks provide connections, mentoring and help give voice to important concerns and opinions.
At the American Red Cross, your uniqueness can shine! WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (Job Overview):
This is a key leadership role for Indirect Category Management within Supply Management at the Red Cross. The ideal candidate has solid Strategic Sourcing & Category Management experience with the Indirect Corporate Functions and Professional Services spend categories. The role focuses on Indirect areas such as but are not limited to Human Resources Services, Financial Services, and Risk. Candidate competencies should include project management and supplier management (e.g. Supplier Relationship Management/SRM) in order to facilitate development of solid, written Category Strategies endorsed by stakeholders.
- Category Strategies. Written Category Strategies for assigned categories
- Improvement. Drives YOY financial improvement and risk mitigation
- Performance Reporting (e.g. cost savings process, reporting, scorecards, etc.)
- Professional Development & TrainingPlan based on Role Competencies
- Process Improvement to assure mitigation of risk via simpler work processes
- Sustainability - Lead the program for Supply Management to incorporate the American Red Cross commitment to reduce the impact of climate change by integrating a climate-centric approach through the way we advance our mission, conduct our business as we manage our Supplier relationships.
- Best Practices & Benchmarking to improve performance based on facts
- Benchmarking (e.g. across industry benchmarks, best practices, etc.)
- Market Analysis (e.g. what are others doing in same categories, etc.)
- Environmental Scanning. Keeps abreast of market intelligence in categories assigned and incorporates into work plans as appropriate
This is a critical role that has significant impact on Supply Management's ability to deliver in terms of risk mitigation and financial improvement/cost reduction as expected by CFO.Responsibilities and Accountability:
Under the direction of the Director of Supply Management:
- Ambassador of Supply Management for the Lines of Business and Function Leaders
- Creates and executes written Category Strategies endorsed by stakeholders
- Facilitates execution of Category Initiatives in collaboration with stakeholders
- Uses Influence not Command and Control to gain endorsement of proposals and strategies
- Lead in the development and execution of Category negotiation strategies with suppliers, including, but not limited to, specific targets for pricing, service, quality, intellectual property, liability, and risk
- Leads complex negotiation with suppliers, develops good agreements with the understanding of win-win outcomes
- Facilitate and lead Lines of Business reviews
- Lead strategic supplier business reviews
- Collaborates and recognizes the best option is the one that is agreed to by all
- Ensures appropriate stakeholders endorse proposals before implementation
- Leadership via ‘Center-Led' approach. ‘Center-Led' as defined by McKinsey
- Delivers Year-Over-Year (YOY) financial improvement in categories assigned (Target best in class 3-5 X+ ROI on total cost of team salary plus benefits)
- Highly responsive to all stakeholders
- Keeps stakeholders regularly informed (e.g. regular check-ins, etc.)
- Defines roles and responsibilities for each team member or participant
- Uses stakeholder-centric approach
- Demonstrates managerial courage by bringing up the ‘undiscussables'
- Exhibits grace under fire
Ongoing operational responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and improve methods to identify and communicate marketplace expertise, including market analysis, supply risk, competitive threats, demand management trends, internal purchasing behavior, and pricing strategies
- Drive comprehensive analytical approach to measure & interpret category performance and provide qualitative & quantitative assessment to stakeholders
- Provide process and policy guidance for the Category across Red Cross
- Generate organizational metrics/scorecard to report on category performance
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Management or related field required
- 5+ years procurement experience, 5+ years' experience managing categories and spend within large organization (annual revenue $1+ Billion preferred) with track record
- Extensive experience with the Professional Services (i.e. Corporate Insurance, Risk and Consulting Services), Financial Services (i.e. Fintech, Corporate Credit Cards, & Banking), Human Resources (i.e. Human Capital Management Platforms) and BPO/Call Center spend categories. Experience with the Corporate Travel spend category is a plus.
- Master's degree a plus
- Professional certification (e.g. C.P.M., CPSM, CIRM, CPIM, etc.) preferred
- Experience in Lean/Sigma, continuous improvement principles & practices is a plus
- Proficiency in Req-to-pay tools, such as Coupa, SAP, Ariba, Oracle, etc.
- Experience using spend analytics tools, such as SpendHQ, Coupa, Zycus, Jaggaer, etc.
- Exceptional computer (Microsoft office) skills, advanced knowledge of Excel (Pivot tables and V-lookup functions) and PowerPoint
- Managerial courage…willing to take a stand, even if unpopular
- Solid leadership skills that include advanced collaboration and influence skills
- Strong ability to build relationships across functions and at all leadership levels
- Ability to aggressively take the lead on implementation of savings opportunities that affect numerous Lines of Business
- Ability to develop business cases, presentations & stakeholder communications
- Ability to clearly communicate strategy, plans and issues across the organization
- Strong financial acumen coupled with a solid understanding of business structures, processes, and information flow in a multi-business unit organization
* Combination of candidate's education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description's minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted). BENEFITS FOR YOU:
We take care of you, while you take care of others. As a mission-based organization, we believe our team needs great support to do great work. Our comprehensive benefits help you in balancing home and work. With our resources and perks, you have amazing possibilities at the American Red Cross to advance the learn.
• Medical, Dental Vision plans
• Health Spending Accounts & Flexible Spending Accounts
• PTO + Holidays
• 401K with 5% match
• Paid Family Leave
• Employee Assistance
• Disability and Insurance: Short + Long Term
• Service Awards and recognition The salary range for this position is:
$95,000 - $125,000
Note that the American Red Cross sets salary ranges aligned to a specific geographic location in which the job or employee resides. The stated salary range in this posting is an average and may not be reflective of your individual circumstances. We will review specific salary information at the time of phone screening based upon your location. The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization that creates a culture of collaboration and team spirit. We offer our employee's a competitive salary, wide range of generous benefits including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 401K retirement plan with match; paid time off, holidays and floating holidays. Also, we encourage professional development and provide growth opportunities. To be considered for this position, please visit to apply.
*LI-JG Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visitredcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights
- Location: Statewide, DC
- Type: Full time