The Principal Bioinformatics Scientist with an emphasis on cancer biology is a highly motivated interdisciplinary, and data scientist who has significant experience in conducting computational analyses of clinical and multi-omics data sets to identify potential mechanisms of drug action and resistance and relationships between potential targets and cancer indications.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS: Education/Experience:
- Analyze genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and population data collected from real-world clinical data and correlate with clinical outcomes
- Provide expertise on tumor biology data sources, including single-cell RNA data sources, and tumor microenvironment (TME) mechanisms for Scientific Strategy Bioinformatics
- Perform independent data analyses and provide timely delivery of results with input on analysis goals from Scientific Strategy, Biotherapeutics, Discovery, Clinical Development, Commercialization Strategy and Planning, and other functions
- Collaborate across the organization with discovery, clinical development, and other staff to prioritize analysis plans
- Coordinate with Scientific Strategy colleagues, bioinformaticians, cloud computing engineers, and others as needed to collaboratively deploy code, analysis results, and data visualizations
- Provide imaginative vision for innovative data integration and analysis to elucidate tumor biology and/or tumor microenvironment biology
- Present analysis results with exceptional clarity
Experience/The Ideal for Successful Entry into Job:
- PhD in the Computational Biology discipline or related discipline and a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or,
- Master's in Computational Biology or a related discipline and a minimum of 9 years of related experience; or,
- Bachelor's in Computational Biology or a related discipline and a minimum of 11 years of related experience; or,
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with advanced data analysis tools and approaches in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries
- Demonstrated Experience with clinical real-world data/evidence analysis
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize impactful bioinformatics data analysis plans for elucidating mechanisms in tumor and/or tumor microenvironment biology
- PhD preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of aspects of tumor biology preferably including drug resistance mechanisms and/or tumor microenvironment drug targets and experience integrating knowledge into bioinformatics analysis plans
- Ability to read, understand, and summarize literature on tumor biology, as well as bioinformatics literature
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across disciplines is required
- Skilled in employing large 'omics datasets as well as public genomic databases (e.g. TCGA, CPTAC, etc.).
- Knowledgeable about using data sources, such as protein-protein interaction data (e.g. STRING, STITCH, BioGrid), cancer clinical data (e.g., TCGA, CPTAC), cellular data (e.g., DepMap, CMAP), and knowledgeable about valuating the limitations of the data (detailed knowledge of multiple proteomics data sources a plus)
- Demonstrated understanding of working collaboratively to integrate data from multiple sources for comprehensive analyses (e.g., using GitHub, presenting data analysis plans, reviewing and summarizing technical publications)
- Exceptional communication skills are required, with an emphasis on facilitating rapid progress in the computational analysis of biological data in a collaborative setting and on presenting analyses to non-data scientific staff at every level
- Significant experience with single-cell RNA sequencing data (scRNA-Seq) a plus
- Experience with machine learning and artificial intelligence methods a plus
- Environment: in office at least 3 days a week
- Travel involves quarterly visits to Exelixis sites and attending 1-2 conferences per year.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across severalU.S. geographic markets, and we pay differently based on those defined markets. The base pay range for this positionis $150,000 - $219,250 annually. The base pay range may take into account the candidate's geographic region, which will adjust the pay depending on the specific work location. The base pay offered will take into account the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, experience and internal equity, among other factors.In addition to the base salary, as part of our Total Rewards program, Exelixis offers comprehensive employee benefits package, including a 401k plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts. Employees are also eligible for a discretionary annual bonus program, or if field sales staff, a sales-based incentive plan. Exelixis also offers employees the opportunity to purchase company stock, and receive long-term incentives, 15 accrued vacation days in their first year, 17 paid holidays including a company-wide winter shutdown in December, and up to 10 sick days throughout the calendar year.DISCLAIMER
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.