The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub San Francisco
( CZ Biohub SF ) ( https://www.czbiohub.org/sf/ ) is an independent nonprofit research institute that brings together three powerhouse universities - Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UC San Francisco - into a single collaborative technology and discovery engine. CZ Biohub SF itself supports some of the brightest, boldest engineers, data scientists, and biomedical researchers to investigate the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and develop new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. We are guided by our values of scholarly excellence; disruptive innovation; hands-on engineering/hacking/building; partnership and collaboration; open communication and respect; inclusiveness; and opportunity for all. Our Vision
- We pursue large scientific challenges that cannot be pursued in conventional environments
- We enable individual investigators to pursue their riskiest and most innovative ideas
- The technologies developed at CZ Biohub San Francisco facilitate research by scientists and clinicians at our home institutions and beyond
Diversity of thought, ideas, and perspectives are at the heart of CZ Biohub Network and enable disruptive innovation and scholarly excellence. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all colleagues feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. The Opportunity
We are seeking an outstanding Director - Computational Biology & Data Science (CB & DS)
to join and lead the Computational Biology & Data Science team, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer , who oversees the Technology Platforms at CZ Biohub-SF. The Director CB & DS is responsible for leading the efforts of a dynamic team of approximately eleven data scientists, in coordination with the Biohub's internal research groups ( infectious disease & quantitative cell science ) and technology platforms ( bioengineering , computational microscopy , genomics , & mass spectrometry ).
The successful candidate will be an accomplished and active biomedical data scientist, with a proven track record for scholarly excellence, scientific innovation, impact, guidance/mentoring, and team management. What You'll Do
What You'll Bring
- Lead the Computational Biology & Data Science platform, a research team composed of bioinformaticians, computer scientists, mathematicians and software developers
- Contribute to primary research, tool building, problem solving, and academic output, including contributions to peer reviewed manuscripts, solutions to complex problems and scientific questions
- Create and implement solutions to complex problems/scientific questions on large scale data sets, including using machine learning approaches, predictive models, and statistical analysis, especially in the area of genomics, proteomics, and imaging
- Collaborate and coordinate with the other technology platforms (Bioengineering, Computational Microscopy, Genomics, & Mass Spectrometry) to analyze and integrate large scale data sets from diverse sources
- Collaborate and coordinate with Group Leaders and their teams on projects, particularly enterprise-wide projects to identify, capture, store, and integrate data streams for analysis and hypothesis testing/generation
- Collaborate with IT to guide scientific compute and data storage infrastructure priorities, strategy, data governance, security, and access policies
- Collaborate with the Software Engineering Team to manage and maintain existing, pipelines, data portals, reporting platforms, and data visualization tools
- Collaborate with software development and engineering teams at the Biohub and at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) to maximize access and impact of Biohub datasets
- PhD preferred and 8+ years of relevant experience, OR MS/MA and 12+ years of relevant experience
- Strong track record of scientific research contributions in data science applied to biomedical research and biotechnology
- Extensive experience with and the processing and analysis of NGS data (Illumina systems), especially genomic and single-cell gene expression data
- A proven track record of strong team leadership along with skills in critical thinking, analytical thinking, communication, teamwork, project management, portfolio management, and influencing skills
- Possess strong abilities to manage, mentor, develop and improve people, processes and technology
- Knowledge of how to analyze and manage large data sets as well as strategies for visualizing and communicating results to inform research and strategic decisions
- In-depth knowledge and experience in process management, change control, collaboration, knowledge management, project delivery, analytics and metrics
Nice to have -
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Network requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster vaccine dose, if eligible, by their start date. Those who are unable to get vaccinated or obtain a booster dose because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance must have an approved exception prior to their start date. Examples of CZ Biohub publications and projects relevant to this posting: (not comprehensive)
- Metagenomics, virology, microbiology
- Spatial transcriptomics
- Familiarity with image analysis and machine learning
- Large scale sequence alignment algorithms
- Proteomic and Metabolomic data
- The Tabula Sapiens: A multiple-organ, single-cell transcriptomic atlas of humans - https://www.science.org/stoken/author-tokens/ST-495/full
- Upper airway gene expression shows a more robust adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2 in children - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35803954/
- OpenCell: Endogenous tagging for the cartography of human cellular organization - https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abi6983
- Molecular hallmarks of heterochronic parabiosis at single-cell resolution. Nature. 2022 Mar;603(7900):309-314. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-04461-2. Epub 2022 Mar 2.
- Fly Cell Atlas: A single-nucleus transcriptomic atlas of the adult fruit fly. Science. 2022 Mar 4;375(6584):eabk2432. doi: 10.1126/science.abk2432. Epub 2022 Mar 4.
- CZID: Metagenomic analysis - https://czid.org
- NAPARI - https://napari.org/stable/
- Systematic functional interrogation of SARS-CoV-2 host factors using Perturb-seq - https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.15.500120v1
- DaXi-high-resolution, large imaging volume and multi-view single-objective light-sheet microscopy - Nat Methods. 2022 Apr;19(4):461-469. doi: 10.1038/s41592-022-01417-2. Epub 2022 Mar 21.
New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range during the hiring process. What We Provide
- Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise
- Existing collaborations within CZ Biohub: Technology Platforms (Bioengineering, Computational Microscopy, Data Science, Genomics & Mass Spectrometry), Infectious Disease , and Quantitative Cell Science
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at our three partner universities (Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UC San Francisco) and at partner organizations in the Bay Area and beyond
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
The CZ Biohub Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. The CZ Biohub Network does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. The CZ Biohub Network will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the CZ Biohub Network. #J-18808-Ljbffr