Req ID 13992 Environmental Geologist/Scientist Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We're looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future! This Opportunity
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Environmental Geologist/Scientist to work out of Valhalla, NY or Morristown, NJ
. Be involved in projects with our Federal Programs Team
and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
Visit this link to learn more about our Federal Programs Team https://youtu.be/KB7CcSJ45qw
WSP is investing in transformational growth in our Federal business, and we are seeking passionate, driven leaders who are ready to help build our portfolio and reputation to become one of the top A/E/P firms in the Federal market. If you are competitive, collaborative, and team-oriented, if you can think strategically, and are willing to rise to a challenge, this position is tailor-made for you. Your Impact
Who You Are Required Qualifications
- Tasks may include collection of various sampling media such as soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water for analytical analysis and interpretation of the results.
- Use field instrumentation such as GPS unit, water quality meters, PIDs, etc. to collect field data and locate sample locations.
- Support site assessment and remediation work both in the office and in the field for projects throughout the US.
- Oversee and log the installation of soil borings and groundwater wells.
- Supervise subcontractors performing construction, drilling, waste removal, etc.
- Support work plan, health and safety plan, and report preparation including writing text, organizing and presenting data, and providing quality control for data.
- Work and communicate effectively with multidisciplinary teams of scientists, engineers and others to address environmental cleanup issues.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Perform professional environmental science work and assist with conducting investigations, inspections, and environmental studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular environmental problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for future environmental needs.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, and illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Assist with environmental site assessments (Phase I and II).
- Write technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using electronic systems, field/work site notes, and software
- Comply with safety guidelines and site-specific procedures which include but are not limited to, the maintenance of sample collection, laboratory documentation, written procedures, monitoring systems, and logbooks.
- Maintain and calibrate equipment and tools, troubleshooting and reporting on malfunctions, and performing inventory control activities.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of environmental data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for low to mid-level threat mitigation and permitting activities projects to minimize impacts to the health of the environment and the population.
- Assist with development and scoping of small- to medium-sized projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Geology, Environmental Science or a closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of experience working as an environmental geologist/scientist conducting field sampling activities, completing environmental investigations, preparing field reports, and/or construction monitoring.
- Prior experience with GIS software and Trimble GPS units and ability to use technology for data collection.
- Knowledge of relevant environmental laws (CERCLA/RCRA), regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Moderate proficiency with business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective manner to accomplish objectives of assigned projects. Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP's health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Must successfully complete and pass WSP's Motor Vehicle screening.
- This role is subject to a client-mandated drug/alcohol testing policy. As such, employee may be subject to random drug/alcohol tests. A copy of this policy will be provided during employee onboarding and is available upon applicant request.
- Master's Degree in Geology, Environmental Science or closely related field.
- Candidates who have or plan to acquire their professional license in Geology.
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120).
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training.
- Experience working for Federal clients.
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career. These benefits include coverage related to medical, dental, vision, disability, and life; retirement savings; paid sick leave; paid vacation (or other personal time); paid parental leave; and paid time off for purposes of bereavement, voting, and/or attendance at naturalization proceedings.
Expected Salary (all locations): $59,000 - $113,300
WSP USA is providing the compensation range that the company in good faith believes it might pay and offer for this position, based on the successful applicant's education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities in addition to internal equity and specific geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant's sex or other status protected by local, state, and/or federal law.
#LI-AW1 Additional Requirements
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 20%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: VALHALLA - SUMMIT LAKE DR
- All locations: US-NJ-Morris Township, US-NY-Valhalla
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation - no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.