At the DNR, we are committed to the conservation and management of the state's natural resources for outdoor recreation, economic development, and a sustainable quality of life. Apply with us and find your path. Job Details Working Title: GIS/Remote Sensing ImageSpecialist Senior Job Class: Research Analysis Specialist Senior Agency: MN Department of Natural Resources
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted : 09/02/2023
- Closing Date : 09/22/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit : Department of Natural Resources
- Division/Unit : Forestry
- Work Shift/Work Hours : Day Shift
- Days of Work : Monday - Friday
- Travel Required : Yes
- Salary Range: $28.96 - $42.67 / hourly; $60,468 - $89,094 / annually
- Job Class Option : Imaging
- Classified Status : Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union : 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status : Exempt - Administrative
- Telework Eligible : Yes
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities : Yes
The work you'll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota. Job Summary The posting is intended to fill one (1) position at one (1) of thefollowing available locations:St Paul,Grand Rapids,and Duluth.
This position exists to analyze remotely sensed data/imagery and Geographic Information System (GIS) data to provide natural resource and land inventory information designed to support the completion of inventory and assessment projects for Resource Assessment (RA) and the Department of Natural Resources.
- Analyze, manipulate, and organize Remotely Sensed data/imagery, aerial photography, and GIS data to support program inventory and assessment projects.
- Acquire and analyze satellite based remote sensing data to produce resource information for managers and Resource Assessment projects and customers.
- Extend Remote Sensing and GIS software capabilities through programming to extract natural resource information not readily available from standard software products.
- Support or streamline existing product creation, and support and enhance existing RA projects and infrastructure.
- Support data infrastructure, troubleshoot GIS & image processing software, and streamline office procedures through programming when appropriate.
- The analyst will be required to share information at public meetings or professional gatherings.
Occasional travel throughout Minnesota is required to attend meetings, complete field site visits, and participate in training. This position has a flexible work arrangement and may be eligible to telework on a full-time or part-time basis which is subject to change. If approved, the employee would be required to complete a telework agreement. Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in GIS or Natural Resources, or closely related discipline.
- Three(3) years of professional experience with GIS and/or Remote Sensing data and products, including a demonstrated proficiency with industry standard software and knowledge of theory and practical applications of GIS and Photogrammetry. *A Master's degree in forestry, Natural Resource Science, Geography, GIS (or a closely related field of academic study) may substitute for 1 year of experience; or PhD in forestry, Natural Resource Science, Geography/GIS (or a closely related field of academic study) may substitute for 2 years of experience.*
- Knowledge of:
- Remote Sensing and GIS analysis techniques, methods, and applications used in Natural Resource Management or similar disciplines.
- A variety of remotely sensed data types, such as multi-spectral satellite imagery, radar, lidar, and aerial stereo photography.
- Theory and practical applications of Remote Sensing, GIS, and Photogrammetry.
- Cartography andGeospatial data/database information, collection, analysis, applications, trouble shooting, and distribution techniques.
- Industry standard software (ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, GRASS, ENVI, ERDAS, eCognition, etc.) with practical applications of GIS and remote sensing/Photogrammetry.
- Scientific, experimental, research, monitoring, and survey techniques pertaining to remote sensing and forest inventory and/or other natural resource management data, as well as how to build relationships between them.
- Ability to:
- Identify, digitize, create, analyze, and output geospatial data and cartographically accurate maps using a variety of remote sensing/GIS data types (multi-spectral satellite imagery, radar, lidar, and aerial stereo photography) and the most recent processes and techniques in ArcGIS Pro that meet natural resource management and inventory needs.
- Work with multiple software packages and keep current with changing GIS and image processing software and techniques while in a production-oriented environment.
- Identify and implement new techniques pertinent to GIS, remote sensing, and natural resource management.
- Develop code and/or programs that either automate or extend Remote Sensing/GIS processes and non-GIS processes.
- Apply geospatial and statistical analyses using Python in ArcGIS Pro.
- Perform field work and ground truthing, which may be in remote areas or inclement weather.
- Operate in Microsoft Windows computer environment.
- Demonstrated experience in project management including project planning, organization, and implementation.
- Communication skills sufficient to clearly communicate complex concepts and principles to other resource professionals and the public.
- Human relations skills sufficient to assign and monitor the work of staff; resolve problems with clients, the public, and other employees; and represent the division on committees and task forces.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work as a productive member of a team.
- Conflict resolution/human relation skills sufficient to negotiate, resolve issues, read situations and settle disputes equitably by finding common ground and cooperation.
- High level of organizational skills with an ability to prioritize, coordinate and manage multiples tasks and projects.
- Advanced degree in Geography Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, Earth & Space Science, or Forestry with an emphasis in GIS.
- Knowledge of Department and Division policies, procedures and operating guidelines and State of Minnesota statutes pertaining to natural resources management.
- Experience writing applications for, administering, and/or managing federal, state, or community grants/research projects for GIS and/or remote sensing projects.
- Advanced experience with programming languages or other scripting languages, including writing Python programs that either automate or extend Remote Sensing/GIS processes and non-GIS processes.
This position requires an unrestricted Class D Driver's License with a clear driving record.
Applicants must have the ability to meet the physical requirements and work in the environmental conditions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
It is policy of the Department of Natural Resources that all candidates submit to a background check prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
Application Details How to Apply
- Conflict of Interest Review
- Criminal History Check
- Education Verification
- Employment Reference / Records Check
- License / Certification Verification
Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com . For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers .
If you have questions about the position, contact Lucas Spaete at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-322-2500 .
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to assist with the application process, please contact the ADA Coordinator at ADA.DNR@state.mn.us . To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Nicole Tefft at email@example.com . Why Work for Us Diverse Workforce
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota. A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency's mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what assistance is needed.