About the Department
At Novo Nordisk, we are helping to improve the quality of life for millions of people worldwide. For more than 100 years, we have led the way in diabetes care. Being part of Novo Nordisk allows our employees to embark on life-changing careers, and the opportunity to help improve the quality of life for millions of people around the world.
In NC, we operate three pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities that are responsible for fulfilling different steps in our injectable and oral treatment supply chains. Our newer Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) facility in Clayton, NC sits on 825,000 square-feet of state-of-the-art equipment, and houses the Fermentation, Recovery and Purification in the production of ingredients for Novo Nordisk's innovative oral products. At API, you'll join a global network of manufacturing professionals who are passionate about what they do. The Program
At Novo Nordisk, interns will have the opportunity to kick-start their careers by working closely with experienced industry professionals and gaining valuable, hands-on, full-time work experience. For ten weeks, beginning May 20th, interns will be immersed in the environment of a global pharmaceutical company and contribute to the line of business by providing sustainable and meaningful project work. Our internship program also includes instructor led trainings, career presentations by senior leadership, and a guided mentorship program to offer professional and personal development. Interns will also be presenting their internship projects to managers and directors within each site at the conclusion of their internship.The Position
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Intern will support the EHS Team in development of hazardous material assessments, work area risk assessments, and process chemical mixture studies. They will support the development of site mapping for energy consumption and sustainability initiatives. They will also support compliance emission assessment for air and wastewater.Physical Requirements
- 0-5% overnight travel required
- Depending upon area of assignment:
- If assigned to a manufacturing area, you must have the ability to work in confined spaces, near operating equipment, and work in loud noise environments with hearing protection
- If assigned to a support or office role, you must have the ability to work in an open office environment with extensive use of a computer keyboard, and frequent use of a telephone
May occasionally move equipment and/or supplied weighing up to 33 pounds within the facility using various body positionsMay require corrected vision to 20/30Accountabilities
- Conduct research, gather, and analyze data, prepare and/or review documents, reports and/or presentations
- Learn and support relevant processes, standards, and policies
- Learn the practical application of cLEAN (LEAN) practices in a manufacturing context, including participating in and assisting with systematic problem solving
- Work with, observe, assist and/or collaborate with and learn from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- Apply and adhere to all Standard Operating Processes (SOPs), policies and environmental, health and safety requirements
- Support and learn processes, activities, relevant standards as assigned
- Meet and network with other interns
- Participate in team meetings
- Complete assigned trainings
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering, Science, or a related discipline preferred
- Conscientious self-starter with good organizational skills, project management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities, must be able to multi-task
- Strong interpersonal communication and ability to collaborate with teams; must effectively operate independently, across functional lines, and with internal customers
- Demonstrated personal initiative, self-motivation, flexibility, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Tools including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- At this time, Novo Nordisk is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future would require sponsorship for employment visa status
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we're life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.