Managing Director, Buildings page is loaded Managing Director, Buildings Apply locations Remote - U.S. time type Full time posted on Posted 30+ Days Ago job requisition id R-100267 Job Description:
Are youan executiveleader with intensecuriosityand drive? Are you willing to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas? Do you have the exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving?Can you create impact through influence? If yes, then read on about a critical role co-leading RMI'sCarbon-FreeBuildingsteam!
We are seekinga Managing Director with broad executive responsibilitieswho will co-lead our mission critical work forward inthe Carbon-Free B uildings program.This program isa team of 65+ staff based in the U.S., plus additional matrixed staff in India and China,withprojectsacross the U.S., India, China, and the EU.
RMIis a non-profit organization committed to transforming global energy use to secure a clean, prosperous zero-carbon future for all. We align all our activities to help limit global warming below 1.5 degrees C. Our organization applies rigorous techno-economic research, whole-systems design expertise, and world-class facilitation capabilities to build the collaborative solutions required to limit the negative impacts of climate change. Weembed deeply in industries to find pain points, and-with influential partners-develop, test and refine innovative market- and policy-based solutions. Working together with business, policymakers, philanthropists, communities, institutions, we seek to remove policy and market barriers and scale the deployment of carbon-free solutions . Buildings Overview:
RMI's Carbon-Free Buildings programseeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissionsglobally through solutions that build a just and equitable energy transition. We focus on transforming both the policy and market landscapes in the US and select geographies internationally. On the p olicy side, our team supports the development and implementation of precedent-setting policy that lowers costs and barriers to decarbonizing buildings and prioritizes low-income comm u n ities in the transition. This policy work includes city, state and federal regulations, program design and incentives. On the market transformation side, our team works directly with industry actors to develop, change , and scale the built environment's transition to a carbon free future . This includes leading industry research, analysis and project implementation on embodied carbon, advanced building construction, finance, development of decarbonization tools and software, and our global work in India, China and our Center for Global Cooling. Position Overview:
RMI is seeking a talented, strategically-minded Managing Director who is positioned to co-lead the Carbon-Free Buildings Program in partnership with an existing internal executive leader.The Managing Director will share oversight ofthe program staff and projects, including potentially a mix of policy and market work.
Managing Directors are expected to develop strategic partnerships and business relationships around the world while fund raising, all with an eye to scaling the work of accelerating the global energy transition. Successful candidates will have a passion for equitable climatesolutionsand will have the ability to influence industry and government leaders at the highest levels.
Managing Directors are members of the senior leadership of the Institute and collaborate closely with other Managing Directors and Chief Officers across the organization to develop and execute RMI's overall programmatic strategies.
Managing Directors will also build and lead teams, mentoring employees at all career levels and create a high-performance working environment where RMI's staff can realize professional growth and impact success.
Managing Directors take a very active role in pursuing funding for their programs, through philanthropic avenues, governmentsupport,and collaboration revenue . S uccessful fundraising is a critical performance factor. We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply! Key Managing Director Competencies:
Qualified candidates for a Managing Director position will need to demonstrate the following critical competencies :
- Thought Leadership and Strategic Orientation - Combines deep thematic knowledge with strong strategic understanding, judgement, and analytical conceptual thinking abilities, which result in identifying and leveraging opportunities to pursue the aspired outcomes for RMI.
- Collaboration & Influencing - Creates constructive relationships with all levels of the global climate tech community and engages others to develop and pursue a common goal. Fosters cross-cultural collaboration within the organization and passionately engages with the climate-focused ecosystem, building a network of enduring partnerships with key external actors. Seen as highly credible internal and external to the organization.
- Building Organizational Capability - Has strong orchestrating ability as demonstrated by success ingalvanizingand bringing stakeholders together, while supporting, and developing, a diverse and talented global community.Developslong-term capabilities of others and the organization.Leads by inspiring,catalyzing, integrating, and utilizing the organization's core strengths.
- Results Orientation - Demonstrates an action orientation and an entrepreneurial approach to identify challenges, establish priorities, and implement viable solutions, as well as fluidity to champion evolving priorities and directions for the organization. Has demonstrated ability to achieve through mobilizing resources and tapping top talent.
- P&L Accountability - Has proven abilities to raise funding that may include philanthropic, government, product, and fee-for-service components, while also demonstrating the fiscal and resource discipline to manage costs and resources effectively in a dynamic business environment.
- Entrepreneurial M indset - Has a strong appreciation of, and/or extensive global experience in founding technology companies, leading cross-cutting initiatives and creating large-scale philanthropic programs. Has the ability to mobilize the full (blended finance) capital stack . Understands the entrepreneurial journey, and has the proven ability to create bold, new initiatives with strong stakeholder support and engagement.
- 20+ years of experience, with relevant experience in policy and regulation, buildings, real estate, buildingstechnologyindustry, including real estate development,real estatefinance, commercial or multi-family buildings, buildings technology providers (e.g., building controls or appliance manufacturing, portfolio ownership), building engineering,architecture,or other technical buildings science or other academic or work experience in these areas desirable.
- 10+ years of people leadership and P&L responsibilities
- Demonstrated extensive work experience at the most senior levels in theenergyindustry with heavy emphasis on project-based environments including project development, consulting or professional services.
- Strong working relationships with commercial experience and an understanding of how to drive profitability in an energy-oriented business.
- Passionate to make a difference, and to deliver impact towards a clean,prosperous,and secure, low-carbon energy future.
- Ability and willingness to help shape RMIs organizational culture and to work in the context of RMI's shared leadership model .
- Global citizen who has worked with or in the energy, investment, and technology sectors around the world.
- Fundraising experience preferred, having both raised funds from public and private sectors and managed ongoing relationships with capital providers.
- Demonstrated experience in integrating a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in work, team culture andoutcomes .
- Success in creating coalitions for change, or achieving shared or community priorities orgoals .
- T rack record on public work on championingan equitable clean energy transition globally.
This position will be remote. Although it is preferred but not required that this position will be located near one of RMI's US offices .Important Note
: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors
. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply. Compensation
The role is targeted at a base salary between $225 - $275K. Final base salary will be determined by the successful candidate's experience against the requirements of the role. Managing Directors also receive a 25% annual bonus, subject to institute and individual performance, and participate in a 457f, which the Board evaluates for a discretionary vesting contribution annually. Benefits
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this- regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, or other social identities-is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world's greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world's most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Addis Ababa; Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New Delhi; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.