**This is an interdisciplinary job. Series assigned to individual positions under this job will be determined based on the selectee's paramount qualifications at the time of selection.**
The Senior Research Scientist (Environmental) position is assigned to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and will conduct state-of-the-art basic and applied research in support of the USACE, Army, and DoD missions in the interactions between physical, chemical, and biological components of the Earth's natural environment and the human impact on the environment. The components of environmental science include energy, vegetated landscapes, soils, water, and atmosphere, necessitating the incumbent possess a broad background in biology, hydrology, limnology, oceanography, water quality, nutrient and contaminant fate/transport, population, community and ecosystem ecology, chemistry, geology, toxicology risk assessment, soil science, climatology, and nature-based solutions. The incumbent leads multidisciplinary teams in planning and conducting research, analyzing and interpreting scientific data, and publishing research results in the peer-reviewed, scientific literature.
Requirements Conditions of EmploymentCONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.
You must be able to submit and pass designated and/or Random Drug Testing as required.You must be able to obtain/maintain the appropriate clearance level and access for this position.
This position requires a minimum of Graduate Degree, preferably Ph.D.
Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/.Other Requirements:
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
Qualifications Position requires substantial experience and significant scientific contributions related to the scientific disciplines and topic areas described in this position description. Incumbent demonstrates ability to think about issues creatively and with a practical view for applicability to inform policy, programs, and operational needs. Scientific achievements have demonstrated innovation and potential for maturation through applied and advanced technology research. Incumbent has peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations, and held positions with status in DoD/national/international scientific/professional organizations and societies.
Incumbent demonstrates expertise as an independent principal investigator/researcher, leading complex programs of research, scientific leadership/mentoring of other scientist, and close collaboration with scientists of various disciplines within DoD, academia, and industry.
In order to qualify, you must meet the requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
1. Specialized Experience is experience closely related to, the field in which the candidate will work. Experience must have been sufficiently specialized to ensure adequate familiarity with the area of specialization, be both nationally and internationally recognized as an authority within the scientific and engineering community, or have direct application in the area for which the applicant is being considered.2. Technical Qualification (TQ).
) A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing this TQ. TQ must provide specific examples that address relevant experience end accomplishments. Failure to meet or address the mandatory Technical Qualification automatically disqualifies an applicant from consideration: TQ write up should not exceed 2 pages. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualification demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:TQ1: Experience in planning, directing and executing basic and applied research in the field of environmental science in the topic areas of biology, hydrology, limnology, oceanography, water quality, nutrient and contaminant fate/transport, population, community and ecosystem ecology, chemistry, geology, toxicology risk assessment, soil science and climatology. This includes the experience in developing mathematical models and numerical methods that are informed by carefully planned and executed field and laboratory investigations.
TQ2: Experience in developing and executing large programs in support of environmental science research. This includes leading programs in a technical area which involves a broad technical scope and consists of projects ranging from basic science to technology demonstration. Demonstrated ability to build diverse collaborative teams and provide leadership in environmental science that affect maneuver support in complex environments, military installation ecosystem management, aquatic plant control, and natural and nature based features.3. Senior Professional Qualifications (SPQ) (Mandatory Submission)
A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing both Senior Professional Qualifications. Applicants must provide specific examples that address relevant experience end accomplishments. Failure to meet or address the mandatory Scientific Professional Technical Qualification automatically disqualifies an applicant from consideration. Limit your responses to 1 page per SPQ.SPQ 1
. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with key management, professional and scientific personnel; advise and consult on scientific and technological programs and problems; and, serve as an effective spokesperson for the organization both nationally and internationally..andSPQ 2.
Stature in the profession as indicated by memberships and activity in professional and scientific societies, honors, awards, and other recognition and leadership in national and international scientific communities. Contributions and professional reputation as evidenced by citations, patents, and/or publications which advance knowledge in the field. EducationPossession of a Graduate Degree (preferably Ph.D. or equivalent experience) in one of the following disciplines:
401 - General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences 401 Education Series
0801 - Professional Engineering Positions 0801 Education Series
1301- General Physical Science Series 1301 Education Series
1515 - Operations Research Series 1515 Education Series
1520 - Mathematical Series 1520 Education SeriesFOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Drug Testing: You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test before you can be appointed into this position.
- Financial Disclosure: The individual selected will be required to file an 'Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report' (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Suitability: If selected, the Army will ask you to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. The Army will also ask you to sign and certify the accuracy of all the information in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired, you may be fired after you begin work, or you may be fined or jailed.
- Nature of Appointment: Individual is given a Career appointment under the authority of 5 USC 3325 upon assuming the position.
- Political Recommendations: The Army is barred by 5 USC 3303 from accepting or considering political recommendations regarding appointment or any other personnel action; any violation of the bar on recommendations is a prohibited personnel action. The Army is obligated to take appropriate adverse action against employees who solicit, or Army officials who consider prohibited political recommendations.
- Veteran's Preference: By law Veteran's Preference does not apply to the Senior Professional Positions.
- False Statements: If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work, or you may be subject to fine, imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
- Non Discrimination: All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabling condition, membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
- Adverse Information Screening: Applicants proposed for selection are subject to inquiries as to any incidences of misconduct, malfeasance, neglect of duty, or the appearance there of information gained in this check will be considered in the approval decision.
- E-verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" system. Federal Law requires DHS to use the E-Verify system to verify the employment eligibility of all new hires, and obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system as a condition of continued employment. The U.S. Department of Army is an E-Verify Participant.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Basis of Rating: The best qualified candidates will be distinguished from other applicants by an evaluation panel of senior professionals referencing the additional evaluation criteria.
Additional Evaluation Criteria:TQ1: Experience in planning, directing and executing basic and applied research in the field of environmental science in the topic areas of biology, hydrology, limnology, oceanography, water quality, nutrient and contaminant fate/transport, population, community and ecosystem ecology, chemistry, geology, toxicology risk assessment, soil science and climatology. This includes the experience in developing mathematical models and numerical methods that are informed by carefully planned and executed field and laboratory investigations.
TQ2: Experience in developing and executing large programs in support of environmental science research. This includes leading programs in a technical area which involves a broad technical scope and consists of projects ranging from basic science to technology demonstration. Demonstrated ability to build diverse collaborative teams and provide leadership in environmental science that affect maneuver support in complex environments, military installation ecosystem management, aquatic plant control, and natural and nature based features