Senior Director, Head of US Structural Biology Center of Excellence (CoE)
The Head of the GSK US Structural Biology CoE will build and provide strong leadership for a new joint Vaccines and Pharma Center that will be established in Cambridge, MA in 2024. The mission of the CoE is to apply the full range of structural biology tools to the design of antigens, RNAs, delivery systems, and formulations for Vaccines as well as to the design of antibodies, biologics, and small molecules for Specialty Medicines and Oncology products. We seek a leader of global reputation to ensure that the CoE has industry-leading impact.
The Center will house cryoEM and biophysical characterization equipment and is expected to use the full range of structural biology techniques, including cryoEM, electron cryo-tomography, X-ray crystallography, NMR spectrometry, small angle X-ray scattering, computational modelling, and ab-initio computational structure determination to advance discovery and product development for GSK's Vaccine and Pharma pipelines. The CoE will work closely with the US Vaccines Protein Biochemistry group co-located in Cambridge and with Pharma Protein Biochemistry groups.
The CoE will support (i) early-stage Vaccines projects led by Discovery Project Teams (DPTs) and later-stage projects led by Vaccine Development Teams; (ii) early-stage Pharma projects led by Early Development Teams (EDTs) and later-stage projects led by Medicine Development Teams (MDTs); and (iii) Technical Research and Development (TRD), Regulatory Affairs, Business Development, and Global Patents. The CoE will work in concert with the Stevenage, UK Structural Biology CoE and structural biologists located in Upper Providence (US), Rixensart (Belgium), and Siena (Italy). Because much of the work will need to be performed through collaboration with outside institutions and many other GSK groups involved in vaccines, biologics, and small molecule drug development, outstanding collaboration and matrix management skills are needed.
The Head of the CoE will be responsible for (i) building the new CoE, (ii) creating and maintaining a network of collaboration with world class scientists to bring cutting-edge technologies and ideas, (iii) overcoming challenges of vaccine, biologics, and drug R&D, and (iv) attracting external talents to accelerate discovery and development.
In addition to building the CoE, this position will lead the existing structural Vaccines Structural Biology team based in Rockville, MD and work with them on the transition to the new site in Cambridge. This role will initially be located at the GSK's Rockville site in Maryland from 2023 to 2025, and will permanently move to Cambridge, Massachusetts afterwards.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership of the function to produce structural biology discoveries that advance the development of vaccines and drugs that improve human health.
- Manage, allocate, and prioritize resources (people, equipment, and budget) in support of DPTs, VDTs, EDTs, and MDTs according to R&D priorities. Ensure support for professional development and qualification of staff, while reinforcing wellbeing within the organization.
- Play a critical role in harmonizing the best practice, alignment, and partnership with equivalent functions at other R&D sites.
- Ensures that the team is up to date and uses cutting-edge technologies/ideas to deliver the best vaccine candidates and therapeutic products according to project priorities.
- Ensure timely delivery of high-quality data for regulatory files, global patents, governing bodies, and peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Strong scientific leadership to ensure interface with key external scientific stakeholders and interactions with external partners in the context of outsourcing activities.
- Foster identification of scientific opportunities to support and accelerate preclinical discovery and development of new vaccines and other pharmaceuticals.
- Lead and engage in productive cross-functional relationships with various teams within the organization such as the TRD, External Research, DPL, VDL, EDL, MDL, Regulatory Affairs, Business Development, and Global Patents.
- Ensure health, safety, and environment is an integral part of the operations and culture. Minimize the impacts on community and environment.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in structural biology related field
- Previous experience as a leader of PhD level scientists in leading pharmaceutical companies or academic institutions for over 10 years of experience in vaccine R&D and leading internal/external collaborations.
- More than ten years of experience not only in structural biology and biochemistry, but also in vaccine and drug development, virology, and bacteriology
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in Biology
- Ability to define talent or capability gaps and understand how to address these issues in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to enhance team dynamics, including diversity of experience
- Experience in encouragement of new ideas and directions to spurn innovation.
- Leadership capability - demonstrated ability to lead and inspire teams, develop/mentor junior scientists, and strategically allocate resources according to portfolio priorities.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
- Location: USA - Maryland - Rockville
- Type: Full time