Summary of the group
The Biologics Engineering (BE) department at AstraZeneca is constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're using our expertise in biologics engineering to enable novel therapeutic approaches to Oncology, Respiratory, Inflammatory, Cardiovascular and Infectious disease. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore new and exciting technologies.
The Department of Biologics Engineering in Gaithersburg, MD is seeking a talented and highly motivated R&D associate II to join our Antibody discovery group. The successful candidate will aid group members in discovery of antibodies for various therapeutic programs and in improvements on our technology platforms. We are seeking a candidate with expertise in molecular biology that is excited by research at the interface between technology and biology. The candidate will operate independently and in collaboration with a diverse group of scientists to advance pipeline projects and further technological innovations. The selected individual will be a well-organized and a highly productive bench scientist that can design and execute experiments efficiently, as well as analyze, interpret and present data to multidisciplinary project teams.
B.S. in molecular biology or other related discipline with 1+ years experience
Main Job Responsibilities
* Perform tasks relating to antibody production (sub-cloning, DNA prep, transfection, purification) to support various projects
* Perform antibody characterization through in vitro assays (e.g. ELISA)
* Support expression construct generation and optimization
* Background in molecular biology techniques, including execution of molecular cloning
* Proficiency in calculating buffer/solution concentrations, and good knowledge of basic chemical Lab metrics - molarity, normality, percent, pH, etc.
* Experience in quantifying DNA and Protein using NanoDrop or similar instrument
* Experience with advanced features of MS Excel for data analysis
* Ability to draft, execute and record experiments in a timely manner and maintain an excellent laboratory notebook
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
* Experience in a biotech/pharma setting
Special Skills / Abilities / Knowledge / Behavioral Competencies
Strong communication skills are highly desirable. The individual should also be self-motivated, embrace new technologies and have demonstrated an ability to work within teams.
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.