Job Title: Manager, Energy & Industrial Innovation
Location: Remote - Worldwide
Start Date: Immediately
Reports To: Director, Energy and Industrial Innovation
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world's most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce and remove greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value. Verra manages a portfolio of programs, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)-- the world's leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1,750 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta)-- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards-- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program-- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra is searching for the role of Manager, Energy and Industrial Innovation to help develop and implement novel approaches to accelerate greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions and removals.
A day with Verra's Innovation Team includes…
- Engaging project developers, technical experts, and other stakeholders
- Providing input and mentorship on key issues to Verra team members
- Co-developing technical and strategic content
Specific functions you will be responsible for…
- Developing innovative standards and methodologies to scale-up climate action by one to two orders of magnitude, particularly related to the energy transition, Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS), early retirement of coal fired power plants, clean hydrogen, and other energy transition activities
- Engaging with project developers, technology providers, investors, and credit buyers, to identify new activities that could scale up industrial or energy related GHG reductions and removals
- Leading a team of motivated and talented peers, providing technical insight and career mentorship
- Participating in, and eventually leading, Verra working groups, various VCS program development initiatives, and a diversity of partner run initiatives
- Representing Verra at relevant industry conferences, workshops, and events
What will you bring?
- A degree, preferably a Master's, in sciences, engineering, or a related field
- Eight (or more) years of progressive professional experience leading projects and people in the industrial or energy climate space, particularly CCS, electricity systems, clean hydrogen, net-zero strategies.
- Expertise in GHG accounting, national or regional emission reduction regulations, emissions compliance schemes; preference will be given to candidates with demonstrable knowledge of voluntary carbon standards
- An existing network of relevant organizations and individuals
- Experience coordinating technical work and demonstrated success in collaborating to produce impactful outcomes
- Strong social skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in fast-paced situations, and able to provide support and guidance to other Verra team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; fluency in English is important; proficiency in other languages would be an advantage
We value growth and personal development! In this role, we see growth opportunities by...
- Thinking strategically! The role centers around developing and implementing a strategy to prioritize opportunities and resources.
- Taking ownership! Work on groundbreaking programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that solve some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Being creative! Develop creative yet workable approaches to addressing key technological and implementation challenges with carbon accounting and crediting of energy related emission reduction projects.
- Connecting! Learn from a diverse group of climate and SD thought leaders and other dedicated professionals at Verra. Expand your network of professionals working on climate change and sustainable development (SD), including government officials, private-sector actors, NGOs, and others.
How will you know you're successful?
- VCS methodologies are recognized as having highest integrity and workability.
- Verra continues to be the leading standard-setting organization in the voluntary carbon market, with energy and industrial innovations playing an increasing role in its climate impact.
- Verra partners consistently express positive feedback with respect to Verra's management of its energy and industrial innovations.
You will join a great team! Verrans are…
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market authorities, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and SD through high-quality standards and programs.
- Share a common set of values: Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. For this position, the salary range is USD $81,371 - $92,383, depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra's total compensation package which also includes:
- Top-tier health, vision, and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee's retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.