Fisheries and Aquatic Biologist On-Call page is loaded Fisheries and Aquatic Biologist On-Call Apply locations San Francisco, CA Sacramento, CA time type Part time posted on Posted Yesterday job requisition id R2302080
On-Call Fisheries and Aquatic Biologist
San Francisco & Sacramento, CA
We are the Environment & Planning Division. We are passionate about doing what's right for our clients, our people, the communities where we live and work, and the environment. We are planners, scientists, program managers, communicators, economists, technologists, and strategists. We are collaborative, curious, and committed to excellence-these are qualities we value that make us who we are and inspire us to grow.Job Description
ICF is currently seeking On-Call (Temporary) Fisheries and Aquatic Biologists/Technicians to be based out of our offices in San Francisco or Sacramento. Work assignments would include working up to 25-40 hours a week depending on availability, including night shifts. Responsibilities will include assisting ICF Biologists with field collections of water quality, phytoplankton, zooplankton, macrocrustaceans, and fish in the upper San Francisco Estuary and inland rivers. Travel up to 5 days per week may be required.
About On-Call Employment with ICF
- Field collections aboard a research vessel of water quality, phytoplankton, zooplankton, macrocrustaceans, and fish in the upper San Francisco Estuary
- Tagging fish with PIT tags and acoustic transmitters and data analysis of acoustic telemetry data.
- Laboratory work, requiring extensive hours in the lab sorting and identifying larval fish, zooplankton, and macroinvertebrates.
- Boat electrofishing, beach seining, and hoop net trapping to capture non-native predatory fish (i.e., striped bass, sunfish species, catfish species), taking data of fish species captured on an iPad with Collector App, and measuring and weighing fish captured.
- Construction monitoring and fish rescue and relocation.
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as "On-Call" employees. On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available (typically a few weeks beforehand), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-Call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (along as their outside work does not create a conflict of interest with the work they do for ICF).Basic Qualifications for All Positions
- B.S. in Biology, or 1-2 years of field experience
- Previous field and/or lab experience required.
- Knowledge of and experience with sampling methods for fish, plankton, and water quality monitoring in freshwater and/or estuarine environments.
- Ability to use microscopes for plankton and fish identification; Experience identifying zooplankton and invertebrates from the San Francisco Estuary desired, but not necessary
- Solid field skills, including the ability to navigate using maps and GPS, and to work outdoors for weeks at a time and spend long hours on boats.
- Strong oral and written communication skills & ability to prepare field data forms.
- Field identification of the common fish species of upper San Francisco Estuary and/or inland rivers and streams.
- Previous experience tagging small fish desired, but not necessary.
- Previous experience in fish rescues desired, but not necessary.
- Previous experience operating small (15-25') boats desired, but not necessary.
- Ability to travel up to 5 days per week.
- Ability to swim 50 yards without assistance.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and passionate individuals and to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success. ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. Our core values include Embracing Differences, and we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces and hires dimensions of differences.Working at ICF
ICF is a global advisory and technology services provider, but we're not your typical consultants. We combine unmatched expertise with cutting-edge technology to help clients solve their most complex challenges, navigate change, and shape the future. We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are committed to creating a culture where we embrace our differences in ideas and identities. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. Learn more about what we dohttps://www.icf.com/ and our commitment to inclusionhttps://www.icf.com/company/about/diversity-inclusion.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy .
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement . Pay Range
- There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is :
$53,030.00 - $90,151.00San Francisco, CA (CA78) About Us Need help? We're here: ICFCareerCenter@icf.com About ICF
ICF is a global consulting and technology services company with approximately 9,000 employees, but we are not your typical consultants. At ICF, business analysts and policy specialists work together with digital strategists, data scientists and creatives. We combine unmatched industry expertise with cutting-edge engagement capabilities to help organizations solve their most complex challenges. Since 1969, public and private sector clients have worked with ICF to navigate change and shape the future. Learn more at icf.com .