Full Time- nonexempt, salary range DOE $80,000- $110,000, Hybrid
Soundview Consultants is a well-respected Environmental Consulting Firm with 15 years serving our clients and communities. Our offices located in Gig Harbor, Mt. Vernon, and Cle Elum Washington are focused primarily on natural resources assessments, environmental planning, permitting, and compliance services for projects with an aquatic regulatory nexus. SVC specializes in both marine and land use issues; site planning and project design; project coordination; permitting and management; marine, wetland, and stream ecology; habitat restoration; wetland, stream, tree, and eelgrass delineations and assessments; benthic surveys; underwater and terrestrial monitoring programs, mitigation planning, project planning, landscape architecture, and arborist services.
Soundview Consultants has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Biologist/ Senior Wetland Scientist to join our growing team! Here at SVC, we give you the flexibility to take care of yourself. We offer a hybrid work environment for team members working both from our offices and remote opportunities to focus on results and take time off when needed. The candidate may choose a home office of Gig Harbor, Mt. Vernon, or Cle Elum, Washington. Some options may look like: 5×8's 4x 10's or 4x 9's with a remote half day on Fridays. And your weekends are always YOURS! We work intentionally to assume positive intentions of each team member in support of the necessary work demands. We value our culture and team that we have built here and are currently accepting resumes of high-quality contributors that want to grow their career alongside our team! If this sounds like you, explore this opportunity and apply today!
This position is perfect for a qualified and self-motivated Biologist/ Wetland Scientist to collaborate and grow with our team. Several years of experience with critical area delineations (wetlands, streams, shorelines). Can demonstrate excellent written communication through providing well-prepared technical reports. Information is well-organized, with a professional display, and shows proven diligent capabilities. In this role you will have a combination of fieldwork and in-office responsibilities covering the greater Puget Sound area in the realm of natural resources management.Typical Duties:
Skills and Experience:
- Knowledgeably conduct local and regional assignments including but not limited to, wetland delineations, ordinary high water (OHW) delineations, monitoring studies, mitigation wetland, shoreline, streams, and fish and wildlife habitat assessments in accordance with current protocols (i.e. soil, hydrology, vegetation inventory, and plant identifications);
- Experience in accurately completing field reconnaissance and investigations/assessments, including data element collection, photo documentation, and determination with understanding of the project goal and technical expertise;
- Provide technical expertise on wetland and waters identification, delineation and jurisdictional status based on the interpretation of current regulations and guidance. Assess and categorize wetland functions using both the 2004 and 2014 Washington State Wetland Rating Systems;
- Classify wetlands with the hydrogeomorphic and Cowardin classification systems;
- Show forethought in mobilization efforts for site visits and site meetings indicating team-work and regulatory relationship respect;
- Review background information for projects with critical thinking and understanding of the bigger picture (i.e. Topo maps, Google Earth maps; National Wetland Inventory maps; Salmonscape maps: etc.);
- Use orientation skills when on large job sites to complete work based on measurements and cardinal direction;
- Draft and prepare technical writing tasks such as wetland assessment reports and other reporting elements showing excellent scientific writing and consistency;
- Researching code and background information and sharing findings demonstrating analysis abilities, propose mitigation measures for impacts to wetlands and water resources;
- Ability to work independently as an engaged member of our team;
- Maintain collaborative and positive relationships, perform other duties as needed, and adherence to Company Policies and Employee Handbook is required.
- BS degree in Biology, Ecology, Natural or Environmental Sciences, or related field;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in wetlands, streams, and biological systems;
- PWS certification preferred although not required;
- Valid WA State Driver's License;
- Ability to navigate through rough terrain and dense vegetation in all weather conditions;
- Demonstrated experience performing routine and atypical wetland delineations using the USACE Manual and Regional Supplement(s) and identifying wetlands;
- Experience with appropriate supplementary wetland training, ordinary high-water determinations, biological assessments, regional assessment methods;
- Possess ability to organize multi-project information and responsibilities;
- Identification knowledge of Washington plant species;
- Experience making hydric soil determinations;
- Competency with Microsoft Office software is required including document preparation;
- Proficiency using GIS and GPS preferred;
- Experience professionally engaging with clients, and regulatory personnel is a plus;
- Aptitude to perform with fast paced demands and high challenges;
- Additional skills and experience that are useful but not required are: site planning, SEPA/NEPA process and policy, ESA assessments and policy, SMA and GMA policy, freshwater and/or marine ecology, wetland, and stream restoration as well as mitigation design, groundwater monitoring, in-water permitting, diving and benthic surveys, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Read, write, and speaks English at an expert level.
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Group Life Insurance, and Long-Term Disability;
- 401K with 3% Company contribution;
- PTO (Paid Time Off);
- Paid company holidays;
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program);
- ERP (Employee Referral Program),
- Company Social Gatherings,
- Cell Phone stipend,
- Flexible and Hybrid work opportunities; and
- Flexible and Hybrid work opportunities; and
Full-time, Non-Exempt, reports to Director of Operations
- Depending on relative experience, knowledge, and skills.
- Eligible for bi-annual bonusing based on performance.
Soundview Consultants encourages applicants from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our continuous path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are a company that believes in affirmative action and equal opportunity employment. We are committed to equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.