Aclima is looking for a brilliant, experienced, strategic, and driven Director of Government Affairs.
The right candidate knows all the ins-and-outs of how government and policymaking works at every level of government. There's nothing in the public sector you can't navigate. From State, Local, and Federal you've got the inside track on how things get done. You're a master of the trade, and you know exactly how to strategically manage top consulting teams to win and win big for a world-changing climate tech company.About Aclima
Aclima is pioneering an entirely new way to diagnose the health of our air and track climate-changing pollution. Powered by our network of roving and stationary sensors, Aclima measures air pollution and greenhouse gases at unprecedented scales and with block-by-block resolution. Our professional analytics software, Aclima Pro, translates billions of scientific measurements into environmental intelligence for governments, companies, and communities. Our free app, air.health, maps address-level air and climate insights for the communities we serve. Aclima is a purpose-driven technology company catalyzing bold climate action that protects public health, reduces emissions, and delivers clean air for all.
Aclima is one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World and #1 in Data Science, Inc Magazine's Best in Business, a Fast Company World Changing Idea, a WEF Technology Pioneer, and one of the top 100 companies in GovTech for 2022. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Portland and Brooklyn. To learn more visit https://aclima.io.Responsibilities
Reporting to the VP of Growth, the Director of Government Affairs
will help shape policies and appropriations, shepherd key relationships, and partner with Aclima's CEO and CSO on high-leverage political engagements. This role requires an entrepreneurial leader who can seek and realize opportunities, manage KPIs and OKRs across multiple consulting teams, while managing risks and maintaining strong, collaborative relationships built on trust, communication, transparency and enthusiasm. This individual will become an ambassador for the company to key policymakers, and will work cross-functionally across Aclima's diverse team as needed. You will join an incredible group of people working together toward an urgent mission. You will:
- Be directly accountable for leading 5+ external consulting teams ranging from State to Local, and Federal, keeping track of all initiatives and relationships.
- Be directly responsible to the CEO and board for ROI and KPIs attached to the budget allocated to external policy consulting teams.
- Advocate and educate government officials on Aclima's technology, and lobby for policies that advance or defend Aclima's mission.
- Author detailed responses to requests for public comment, RFIs, and author and submit comments on NOPR's in consultation with external teams.
- Be responsible for all follow-up and staffing Aclima's CEO during meetings with elected officials.
- Lead on policy tracking and analysis, informing Aclima leadership on trends and dynamics that will drive increased need for hyperlocal environmental data related to air quality and climate change.
- Identify, address, and mitigate unforeseen and/or rapidly unfolding events that may negatively impact relationships between Aclima and other constituencies, keeping senior leadership appropriately advised and informed on a timely basis.
- Lead on external policy engagement, with audiences ranging from state and federal elected officials, staff, heads of public agencies, public agency staff, public interest groups, analysts, and think tanks.
- Work directly with Aclima's sales team to coordinate efforts in target markets, and work with channel partner salespeople and their government consultants.
- Advise Aclima leadership, board members, and internal product and sales teams on relevant policy efforts and issues related to Aclima products and services.
- Support collaborative strategy formulation processes, including developing a high-level understanding of Aclima's full technology stack and associated science.
- Frequently travel domestically and occasionally internationally.
- 7-10+ years of relevant policy experience, including educational background and direct professional experience working on environmental policy, climate change, clean energy, or related public health and sustainability issues within government, international nongovernmental organizations, companies, trade associations, public interest groups, or think tanks
- Law degree a huge plus
- Strong understanding of regulatory/legislative environment in California, New York, US, and international
- A thick rolodex of connections in government and NGO's.
- Experience in high-growth technology companies, with data services or cloud software services policy experience a significant plus
- Ability to learn quickly, move fast, and engage effectively on a wide range of related topics
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Strong desire to maximize the positive benefits of increased environmental awareness and transparency made possible by Aclima's technology
- Able to serve in an advisory/leadership role in a growing strategy team
- Advanced problem-solving skills and ability to break down and communicate complex concepts
- Comfortable working in a fast moving environment with dynamic objectives
- Strong personal initiative, and ability to work independently and make decisions under minimal supervision
- Excellent teamwork, poise, and verbal communication
- Extraordinary ability to take on open-ended problems in unstructured environments
Please know that you can be a great candidate even if you don't have everything we've described above. You might also possess important skills and experience we haven't considered. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter- this is where you can really shine).Pay Transparency
The base salary range for this full-time exempt position if located in the SF Bay Area, New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, or Seattle metro region is $151,000 - $200,000 + equity + benefits. For all other regions, the range is $120,000 - $165,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location, and are informed by current market data provided by Carta Total Comp.
Within those ranges, individual pay is determined by exact region and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. The Hiring Manager can share more about the specific salary range for your geographic region during the hiring process. Employee must continue to reside within 90 miles of location used to determine starting salary, otherwise Aclima reserves the right to make regional adjustments to pay.To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this role. Also be prepared to show off your track record of success and convince us why you're especially qualified.Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and has proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment. Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.Compensation and Benefits
Aside from the fulfillment of working alongside world-class colleagues to make a positive impact in people's lives, while improving planetary and public health, Aclima offers competitive compensation, equity potential, and excellent benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision/Life/AD&D/LTD, 401K, commuter and wellness credits, company events, and an extraordinary culture.