TheCommunications Manager, Climate & Environment is the lead communications staff working on climate and is responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies in support of the UNF Foundation's Climate & Environment team's workstreams, including ocean/shipping, food/agriculture, adaptation/resilience, and climate science. As part of this work, in close collaboration with the Climate & Environment workstream leads and Communications team colleagues, the Communications Manager helps draft articles, opinion pieces, blogs, press releases, and digital media content. They also help engage select media, support targeted expert and influencer outreach, plan and staff events, and develop and produce digital communications content. This position reports to the VP for Climate and Environment with a dotted line to the Chief Communications Officer.
This position is based in Washington, DC (hybrid schedule).Essential Functions
- Develop and execute comprehensive strategic communications plans for UNF's climate and environment workstreams on ocean/shipping, food/agriculture, adaptation/resilience, and climate science; including digital, editorial, and media components, with clearly articulated goals and metrics.
- Research, write, and edit blog posts, fact sheets, op-eds, statements, press releases, social media language, talking points, reports, and speeches to advance the priorities of UNF's Climate & Environment team.
- Develop and produce UNF Climate & Environment team newsletter.
- Working with the Climate & Environment team, manage, build, and grow productive relationships with media and other relevant partner organizations, and activate networks around key climate moments and issues, as needed.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF's finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF's contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF's current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF's Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information, and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits & Compensation
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5-7 years of experience in climate and/or environment communications.
- Excellent writing, editing, digital and interpersonal communications skills required.
- Knowledge of digital tools and platforms is essential.
- Professional demeanor, able to quickly earn confidence of senior leaders, and represent the Foundation externally at all levels, including to the UN.
- Highly organized, with attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and ability to work under pressure with multiple, shifting priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.