Vaulted is an emerging leader in permanent carbon removal. As a Biomass Carbon Removal and Storage (BiCRS) solution, Vaulted delivers permanent, high quality carbon removal at scale through the geologic sequestration of carbon-filled organic waste.
Vaulted's approach is designed to be the lowest-cost, gigaton scale, permanent carbon removal. We sequester sludgy organic wastes (biosolids, manure, agricultural, food waste, paper sludge, etc.) that today are sent to a landfill, dumped into an ocean/river, land applied, or otherwise left to decompose, releasing Green House Gases (GHGs) into the atmosphere. Vaulted leverages a suite of patented, mature, geologic slurry sequestration technologies which allow us to sequester organic waste with minimal processing. We inject deep under the earth's surface, where the carbon is permanently trapped under a layer of impermeable rock - the same formations that have kept hydrocarbons underground for millions of years. We have two permitted, operational, facilities allowing us to reach near-term meaningful scale.
Our carbon removal approach goes beyond vaulting carbon. It inherently improves local environmental and human health. In doing so, our operations redress historically unjust waste management practices and advance environmental justice.
Vaulted is backed by leading carbon removal and climate investors, including Lowercarbon Capital, Earthshot Ventures, and WovenEarth Ventures. About the Role
At Vaulted, we have an aggressive development plan for new sites. The pace at which we can ramp up our Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) generation is directly tied to our ability to source development partners and secure organic waste. The Vice President of Business Development will be principally responsible for sourcing and managing the business relationships for the company which will result in access to new sites, partnerships, joint ventures, and licensees.
As the VP of Business Development, you will:
- Be a key early member of the team, and as such will play a critical role in shaping the culture of the company through the example of your dedication, hustle, values, attitude, and work ethic.
- Interface directly and regularly with internal stakeholders, including the VP of Engineering, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and the Executive Chairman, as well as the broader board of directors.
- Develop and execute a business development strategy and plan to identify and pursue new sites, partnerships, joint ventures, licensees for the company. This will primarily entail sourcing and securing contracts with organic waste partners.
- Drive new deals to completion, owning the project management of getting new wells online. This will entail working with external partners, as well as working across internal carbon offtake and engineering teams.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, including customers, partners, industry associations, and regulatory bodies, to support business growth and advocacy efforts, particularly in the waste management areas.
- Conduct market research to identify emerging trends, competitor activities, and potential growth opportunities in the waste industry. Use data-driven insights to inform business strategies and market positioning.
- Hire, develop and manage a team of Business Development Managers to support the broader scope of the business development function as we grow.
- Create and deliver presentations and proposals to prospective customers and partners and participate in industry events and conferences to promote the company's services.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced and rewarding environment where your contributions will directly lead to mitigating, and eventually reversing, the worst impacts of climate change.
Location can be flexible - we have offices in Houston, TX and San Francisco, CA. In person is preferred, but we are flexible geographically for the right fit. What You Will Bring
To succeed in this role the VP of Business Development will need, most of all, restlessness, drive, hustle, and a deep sense of urgency. They will need to be able to manage multiple threads at the same time, while delivering rapid results from an understaffed team, if for no other reason than the planet simply cannot wait. In addition, we seek a candidate with:
- 5+ years' experience in business development related roles, at least 2 of which in an environmental, energy, or climate related field
- High commercial acumen and creativity, enabling effective response to challenges in negotiations with highly experienced and commercially astute counterparties.
- A track record of souring, developing, and closing deals with stakeholders ranging in size from large corporates, to startups and small businesses
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and guide the business development team with strong leadership qualities. Proven skills in setting a compelling vision, motivating others, and driving results through effective collaboration and teamwork.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in written and spoken English. Ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, including investors, customers, business partners and team members. Capable of presenting complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Committed to sustainability with a deep understanding of the environmental, social, and economic benefits of carbon removal and/or climate change mitigation.