Strand Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company utilizing synthetic biology to genetically program mRNA to deliver truly revolutionary immunotherapies.
Building on the idea of creating smart therapies based on Boolean logic circuits, Strand was started by biological engineers working together at MIT who were seeking to apply the concept of the emerging field of mRNA therapeutics. This collaboration led them to build their own mRNA "programming language," creating the world's first platform for mRNA smart therapies.
The founders and scientific advisors of Strand Therapeutics are made up of well-known and highly regarded individuals in both academia and the biotech industry. Our corporate headquarters is located in the Fenway district of Boston, Massachusetts with an additional site based in Watertown, Massachusetts. Become the next standout single strand!
Strand is looking to build a team that understands the value of working at a start-up. Joining the company now means having vast opportunities to learn and grow including having the exposure to all aspects of building a company. We are looking for people who have the enthusiasm and motivation to be a highly contributing member of a small team. This opportunity will offer the employee the ability to work closely with the founding team, as well as to form close partnerships with team members during the development and formation of the company.
We are looking for a Principal Scientist within the Translational Biology group to drive programmatic efforts to develop transformative mRNA medicines at Strand Therapeutics. The ideal candidate will leverage their experience in various aspects of preclinical drug development including preclinical oncology pharmacology models, immuno-oncology cell and gene therapies, and safety pharmacology. The candidate will be expected to leverage cross-functional resources and expertise to support decision-making around target selection, product concept refinement and R&D candidate nomination. A successful candidate will be innovative, resourceful, and possess the ability to identify key gaps and help to define target product profiles. The candidate would also have a track record as a trusted mentor and fostering growth of junior scientific colleagues.
- Under the direction of the Director of Translational Biology, lead in vivo pharmacology efforts in the design and execution of preclinical activities to evaluate mRNA therapeutic candidates.
- Oversee pharmacology studies to establish proof of concept, mechanism of action/resistance, PK/PD, and support nomination of research, development candidates, and IND submissions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in pharmacology, cell and gene therapies, and immuno-oncology.
- Manage, mentor, and develop junior scientists and staff.
- Manage and review proper records in electronic notebook, peer-reviewing ELN entries and contribute to writing study protocols.
- Contribute to pharmacology data packages and writing for regulatory submissions.
- Maintain current understanding of the oncology and immunotherapy landscape.
- PhD in Immunology, Immuno-Oncology, Cell/Molecular Biology, or relevant field with 5+ years drug development experience, or M.S. with 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience driving pharmacology efforts and strategic planning of pharmacology packages path to IND strategy required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team of pharmacology analysts and scientists with a strong commitment to developing junior staff.
- Prior experience managing third party vendors such as CROs highly preferred.
- Solid in depth understanding of immune cell/tissue crosstalk and immune-modulatory pathways and how they apply to specific therapeutic modalities.
- Demonstrated experience in preclinical development from early target discovery/validation to IND-enabling studies.
- Understanding and experience in in vivo sciences/vivarium operations.
- Strong inter-personal skills that enable effective collaboration and ability to effectively influence in a matrix environment.
Strand offers a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team-focused work environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, vacation, 401k, and commuter) and work/ life integration. Being part of the Strand team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to meet the company goals.
Strand Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law. Strand does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with role and experience