Senior Consultant- Climate & EnergyApplication Deadline:
17 September 2023Department:
$90,000 - $115,000 / year
DescriptionRoss Strategic is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team of consultants. We work on some of today's toughest challenges ranging from climate change to human health. We do this by bringing together people from various backgrounds and fields of expertise to find common ground and develop durable solutions. Our clients include public agencies, private businesses, philanthropic foundations, and not-for-profit organizations.
We anticipate hiring one senior consultant based on this posting. The position is primarily focused on projects related to the transition to clean energy systems and other climate change mitigation strategies. You will be independently carrying out projects and leading teams consistent with the responsibilities below.
Key ResponsibilitiesAs a Senior Consultant at Ross Strategic, you would:
- Lead project teams supporting and managing projects related to strategy, planning, and policy/program design, primarily but not exclusively for West Coast state, local, and regional climate and energy policies and programs but with opportunities to work on other environmental and/or public health topics.
- Facilitate and support collaborative stakeholder processes to find common ground among multiple partners, often including governmental and non-governmental organizations and initiatives, including collaborative efforts in-person, via webinar, and over the phone; lead planning, coordination, and running of large and small group and partner meetings.
- Provide strategic guidance and thought leadership for clients that include federal, state, and local agencies; philanthropies; non-profits, and international institutions.
- Identify business opportunities for new work and lead or contribute to proposals, interviews, and other aspects of business development.
- Lead preparation of written products including reports, memos, syntheses, briefs, infographics, and other product types that are clear, accurate, audience-centric, and insightful.
- Compile, manage, and synthesize data, especially qualitative data from interviews and other sources to develop concise findings and recommendations for clients.
- Communicate regularly and build relationships with clients.
- Track multiple, complex, interrelated issues and processes.
- Conduct project-specific research and analysis on policies, programs, activities, and innovations. Research may include on-line data collection, case studies, literature reviews, surveys, and/or interviews.
- Provide project management support through preparation of progress reports for clients, organizing project files, and time and budget tracking.
- Some travel required.
Because Ross Strategic is committed to growth from within, we seek candidates with an interest in developing or advancing a career in consulting. In house training, ongoing mentoring, and coaching support will be provided. There are substantial professional development opportunities at Ross Strategic for high-performing consultants (including potential firm ownership opportunities).Current project work needing support is largely in the following areas, and candidates with interest or experience in one or more of these areas are encouraged to apply and to describe their relevant education and experience so we can consider it:
- (Most important) Planning and stakeholder engagement in support of developing state and local policies and strategies for transitioning to clean energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, including approaches to reduce carbon emissions in power systems, transportation, buildings, land use, and industry. This work is primarily but not exclusively focused on state and local policies in the Pacific Northwest.
- Strategic planning and evaluation for organizations working on clean energy and climate, including public agencies, nonprofits, philanthropies, and multilateral institutions.
- Design and facilitation of collaborative processes involving multiple constituencies and partners.
- Reflection of equity and just transition in policy, planning, evaluation, and climate justice work.
Got questions about the Senior Consultant-Climate and Energy position and want to learn more? Join us for the information session on Wednesday Sept 6 at 4:30pm PST! If you're unable to attend, the session will be recorded and sent to applicants who are scheduled for an interview.
Skills Knowledge and ExpertiseRequired Qualifications
Desired Experience and Qualifications
- Masters or BA/BS degree in a relevant field
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work under tight timelines with multiple and overlapping tasks and to work in situations requiring self-direction and initiative
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies to support projects
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and planning skills
- Strong writing, communications, and interpersonal skills
- Strong and sustained attention to detail
- Proficiency with office software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, and/or SharePoint
- 7+ years of work experience
- Based in the U.S. Strong preference for being located in the Pacific Northwest or willingness to relocate to the Pacific Northwest.
- Understanding of solutions to advance clean energy and reduce greenhouse gases in sectors such as power systems, transportation, buildings, land use and/or industry.
- Past work on climate and clean energy topics with or for government agencies (US federal, state, and/or local), utilities, non-profit organizations, philanthropies, and/or international organizations.
- Comfort facilitating groups of stakeholders to find common ground.
- Familiarity with US energy markets including production, distribution, and transmission systems.
- Ability to compile and synthesize high-level takeaways from complex data/information.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and interest in building a practice in an expanding area of business opportunity.
BenefitsTo support our staff both personally and professionally, our management actively supports staff work-life balance and has adjusted to a fully remote working environment in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Outside of current pandemic restrictions, employees always enjoy flexible remote work arrangements, scheduling, and control of how they use their paid time off.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Paid time off program, which starts at 20 hours of paid leave per month (240 hours/30 days per year). We currently have a combined paid time off (PTO) pool for paid sick & safe leave, holidays and personal leave time.
- 401(k) plan with employer contribution
- Medical, vision and dental coverage with premiums fully funded for employees and funded at 50% for their dependents (spouses, domestic partners and children)
- Short-term disability and basic life insurance
- Financial and time support for professional development through continual access to online training courses, full staff training opportunities, and individual trainings of interest to our staff.
- Office celebrations and social events
- Opportunities for monetary bonuses and other staff recognition