Job DescriptionPosition Summary:
Vertex seeks a talented scientist to join the Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) stem cell research group in Boston, MA. The group's mission is to discover and actualize the next generation of cell therapies for diabetes.
We are looking for a candidate with a background in developmental biology and stem cell culture, interested in working at the intersection of cell therapy and bioengineering. To be successful in this role, the candidate must have strong cell culture skills, as well as familiarity with analytical methods in cell and molecular biology.
The candidate will work closely with our scientists on discovery projects advancing our capabilities in pluripotent stem cell derived therapies. The ideal candidate is scientifically independent and accustomed to taking initiative. The position requires strong communication and organization skills, as well as proven adaptability and multitasking capability.Key Responsibilities:
Scientific and Non-Scientific Skills:
- Perform human pluripotent stem cell culture and support discovery research efforts in stem cell biology
- Utilize analytical tools to evaluate molecular characteristics during pluripotent stem cell culture and differentiation.
- Follow protocols and contribute to stem cell differentiation campaigns (periodic weekend work is required).
- Work with cross-functional teams to plan, coordinate, and execute experiments.
- Present findings to the group and to broader disease area teams, summarize data into reports for supervisor.
- Assist with lab management: track cell culture reagents, place orders, prepare media and reagents, continuously work to improve lab operations.
- Strong mammalian cell culture experience required. Pluripotent stem cell culture experience (e.g., hESC and/or hiPSC) in 2D and/or 3D is desirable.
- Experience performing stem cell differentiation to any cell type is desirable but not required.
- Technical skills should include experience with many of the following: cell-based assays (proliferation, cytotoxicity, reporter assays, etc), flow cytometry, western blotting, qPCR, immunocytochemistry.
Preferred Education and Experience Levels:
- Must possess critical thinking and self-reliance to solve tasks independently, as well as a willingness to ask questions.
- Successful candidate will have outstanding organizational and multitasking capabilities.
- Candidate must possess flexibility to quickly pivot as projects demand.
- The candidate will be accustomed to effectively communicating progress, needs, and problems.
- BS 4+ years of relevant experience
- MS 0-2+ years of relevant experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com. This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.