Principal Environmental Planner & Project Manager
San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine, CA or CA Remote
We are the Environment & Planning Division of ICF. We are enthusiastic about doing what is right for our clients, our people, the communities where we live and work, and the environment. We are planners, scientists, program managers, communicators, economists, technologists, and strategists. We are collaborative, curious, and committed to excellence-these are qualities we value that make us who we are and inspire us to grow. If you perform well in a fast-paced, engaging, and collaborative environment, and would like to work with a diverse team of industry professionals, we encourage you to learn more about ICF (www.icf.com) and consider applying to join our team.
ICF is seeking a Principal Environmental Planner to join our Southern California based planning team. Our energy, ports, transportation, and infrastructure business are growing at a rapid pace, and we are seeking a senior leader to assist with this growth. The position is based in any of our offices in San Diego, Los Angeles, Irvine with an option for remote work. We lead the environmental compliance efforts for complex and often controversial projects nationwide for private and public sector clients. Our staff work on the most current and important projects to address climate change including offshore and onshore wind energy development; solar, wind and battery energy storage projects; and management of the natural and human environment. In this position you will be a senior leader within the Southern California region, tasked with the following:
What You Will Do
- Management of federal, state, and local permitting and compliance for renewable energy, transmission, ports, urban development, water, rail, and other projects in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act [CEQA] and National Environmental Policy Act [NEPA] and other regulations.
- Serve as a primary point of contact with local, state, and federal government clients, as well as private sector clients such as renewable energy developers, and commercial/residential/industrial developers, and engineering companies.
- Coordinating the effort of multidisciplinary teams tasked with conducting research, preparing technical documents/deliverables, and interfacing with external clients.
What You Need to Have
- Serve as a project director or project manager on large complex projects
- Maintain a thorough understanding of CEQA and NEPA, including staying up to date on case law and providing support on complex projects to accurately advise clients.
- Write proficiently with ability to manage multiple project schedules with competing deadlines and budget constraints.
- Interface directly with key clients and help build and maintain great relationships.
- Lead business development efforts and contribute to identifying new leads, writing proposals and bookings.
- Manage and author deliverables.
- Mentor early career staff.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in environmental studies, or related field. (Master's Degree in a related field desirable).
- 12+ years of environmental planning experience within the energy, water and/or planning and development markets.
- Experience obtaining environmental permits, reviewing technical studies such as those addressing biological resources, cultural resources, air quality, noise, traffic, and hydrology.
- Business development experience.
- Strong work ethic with a positive attitude and thrives in a collaborative setting.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of environmental planning and related fields.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience interfacing with external clients, members of the public, and government officials.
- Strong analytical skills, including attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to take and give direction, stay organized, and manage time effectively.
- Commitment to overseeing preparation of high-quality work within established budgets and schedules.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and enthusiastic individuals and to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success. ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. Our core values include Embracing Differences, and we seek candidates who are enthusiastic about building a culture that encourages, embraces, and hires dimensions of differences.
#caplannersWorking at ICF
ICF is a global advisory and technology services provider, but we're not your typical consultants. We combine unmatched expertise with cutting-edge technology to help clients solve their most complex challenges, navigate change, and shape the future.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.Pay Range
- There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is:
$137,987.00 - $234,578.00Irvine, CA (CA79)Summary
- Location: Irvine, CA; Los Angeles, CA
- Type: Full time