- Serves as the geospatial science and technology expert for the Engineer Research and Development Center's (ERDC's) Geospatial Research Laboratory (GRL).
- Uses superior knowledge in geospatial science and technology to review and execute project / program research and development and direct complex technical programs .
- Serves as the laboratory's senior geospatial lead and program development expert. interface with senior Army leadership to integrate the laboratories technologies into the Army's Modernization Priorities.
- Leads the maturation of concepts from basic research through applied technology and integrating innovative Science and Technology program areas that address enduring geospatial challenges of the Army.
- Lead a highly technical and world class technical work force in new and demanding research areas, including: geospatial technologies, mobile/enterprise Geographic Information Systems (GIS), terrain analysis and reasoning, etc.
- Directs the effective evolution and transition of innovative products and capabilities that characterize the effects of the Joint Operating Environment (JOE) upon Mission and Mission Command, ground force operations and tactics, etc.
- Responsible for providing the technical requirements and descriptions of the research to be performed: setting the schedule, milestones, and quality of standards for the research.
- Providing review and oversight of quality of progress of the research; coordinating and integrating the research team both internally and externally (e.g., Government, contractors, and universities).
- Determining acceptance, rejection, or correction of the research products in concert with the Lead Technical Director for the Geospatial Research Engineering Research and Development Area.
- Develops, defends, and executes a multi-million-dollar budget, including both direct and reimbursable resources.
- Uses a clear, detailed understanding of the end-to-end science, technologies and work flows that create geospatial data, information, models and analytic applications relevant to the successful conduct of full-spectrum military operations.
- Execution and understanding of Warfighter Mission Area (WMA) doctrine, Department of the Army Requirements and Chief of Staff of the Army priorities, the roles and responsibilities of the U.S.
- Marshals the efforts of a diverse and vibrant geospatial research community through idea creation, research, concept development, and investment prioritization.
- Attracts resources for technology transition; and consults with and provides advice to the Geospatial Research and Engineering (GRE) lead executive and to the Director, GRL.
- Develops, resources, leads and monitors research that informs Army concept development and requirements,.
- Addresses capability gaps in establishing a flexible and adaptive Army Geospatial Enterprise (AGE) and Standard Shareable Geospatial Foundation (SSGF), and the supporting analytics and services enabling all Warfighting Functions.
- Monitoring and programmatically leading a laboratory workforce primarily funded by the business area portfolio and identifying and developing business opportunities.
- Establishes new standards for the use, sharing and dissemination of geospatial data, information and analysis across the Army, DoD and industry partners.
- Leads research that is cross-cutting, leverages multiple/mixed methodologies, and impacts a range of users across all echelons, which in and of itself adds complexity when determining transition partners.
- Performs supervisory duties less than 25%.
Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Top Secret/SCI security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
- This position is covered by the Civilian Drug Abuse Testing Program and is subject to pre-employment and random Drug Testing.
QualificationsWho May Apply
: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
- Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
- Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
- People with Disabilities, Schedule A
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.Basic Education Requirements:
Basic Requirement for General Engineer 0801 series; Mechanical Engineer 0830 series; Computer Engineer 0854 series; or Electrical Engineer 0850 series:
Basic Requirement for Geographer 0150 series:
Basic Requirement for Physical Scientist 1301 series:
Basic Requirement for Geologist 1350 series:
Basic Requirement for Mathematician 1520 series:
Basic Requirement for Computer Scientist 1550 series: In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes: Leading project/program research and development (R&D) and execute direct complex technical programs from planning and marketing through execution and transition to product delivery; Creating geospatial data, information, models and analytic applications; Performing federal programming, budgeting, and execution control processes; and Preparing technically complex correspondence, reports, and presentations. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service DB-04 (GS-14).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Oral Communication
- Planning and Evaluating
- Project Management
- Technical Competence
- Written Communication
This position is covered by the Science and Technology Laboratory Personnel Management Demonstration Project at the DB-05 (equivalent to GS-15) grade level. In accordance with the Federal Register Vol. 63, No. 57, dated March 25, 1998, Laboratory Demonstration Project employees must have a current average performance score of at least 2.5 or equivalent (fully successful rating) for promotion consideration.
All qualification requirements, including time after competitive appointment, must be met by the closing date of this announcement. EducationFOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 - Engineers & Scientists (Non-Construction) position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit .
- This position is EXEMPT from the Fair Labor Standards Act. (FLSA).
- Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
- This position may be used to fill like vacancies for up to 180 days after the closing date.
- Eligible for situational telework only, including emergency and OPM prescribed "Unscheduled Telework".
- Help Help
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.