Job DescriptionSenior Computational Biologist/Group Leader
The Cancer Data Science team at the Broad Institute () is an interdisciplinary group dedicated to accelerating cancer research. We are pioneering data-driven approaches to understand cancer vulnerabilities through helping design and analyze large-scale experiments, developing new statistical tools and machine learning methods, writing papers, producing datasets used by tens of thousands of researchers around the world, and guiding research and development for applying new technologies to cancer research. We collaborate with teams and labs across the Broad Institute and beyond as well as with industry partners.
We're seeking a highly motivated senior computational biologist to lead our efforts in target identification/exploration and predictive modeling for cancer dependencies/vulnerabilities including integration of advanced ‘omic characterization of cell line models. You will oversee the CDS ‘omics team as well as lead and implement the data science strategy for new target identification and evaluation through integration of dependency data with deep ‘omics profiling through collaboration on projects including the Cancer Dependency Map and Pediatric Cancer Dependency Map. You will work collaboratively in the world-class research environment of the Broad Institute Cancer Program with cancer biologists, other data scientists, and industry partners to derive insight from multi-modal high-dimensional data. In this role, you will:
What we need from you:
- Lead data science components of target investigation efforts, predictive model innovation, and have oversight of the CDS ‘omics team
- Manage and mentor team members working on the areas listed above
- Develop innovative and interpretable predictive models for cancer vulnerability data using multi-omics features
- Interpret vulnerability data (genetic or chemical) integrated with genomics features to identify and investigate potential new targets for cancer therapy
- Build collaborations by interacting with multiple collaborating laboratories, groups, and platforms at the Broad
About the team:
- A PhD + 5 years experience (or MS + 8 years relevant experience) in computational biology, genetics/genomics, systems biology, biomedical sciences (with a robust computational focus), or related field
- 1+ year experience in a leadership role (e.g. direct or indirect people management, cross-functional team leadership)
- Strong coding skills, with fluency in at least one of R or python
- Strong data science skills: understanding how to interrogate and troubleshoot data, analytic experimental design, data/results interpretation
- Demonstrated experience deriving insight from complex, high-dimensional data
- Experience applying and interpreting statistical and/or machine learning based methods for predictive modeling
- Knowledge of cell biology, cancer biology, or a related field
We are a highly collaborative interdisciplinary group of computational scientists and software engineers with close links to top academic institutions across the Boston Area, providing the potential for contributions to be utilized and recognized worldwide. We pride ourselves on the quality of our science, but just as much on our work culture. We believe in a team with a healthy work-life balance and a high degree of psychological safety. We look for candidates with diverse backgrounds, strengths, and perspectives, who are willing to challenge and be challenged.
#LI-Hybrid All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. EEO is The Law - click here for more informationEqual Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/DisabledCheck out this video for a look into our community!
- Location: Cambridge, MA
- Type: Full time