Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Title: Environmental Scientist
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As Needed
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
North Wind Site Services is focused on providing engineering, program management, environmental remediation services including investigation and characterization, environmental restoration, unexploded ordnance/military munitions response (MMRP), regulatory public involvement services, environmental compliance, logistics, and records and facility management.
The Environmental Scientist/Engineer/Geologist supports environmental projects throughout the western United States. Supports the sampling of various media, field data collection activities including groundwater quality and GPS surveys, and environmental drilling operations. Supports project management, prepares planning documents and reports, supports field teams conducting site assessments, and interacts with regulatory agencies to develop successful solutions to project challenges. Performs environmental investigation, soil and groundwater remediation, planning and logistics, waste management, regulatory compliance, and other environmental services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordination and participation in field efforts to collect soil, water, air or other environmental samples to support the successful execution of projects.
- Procure and coordinate with subcontractors to establish project schedules.
- Preparation of planning and reporting documents, including Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPP's) Health and Safety Plans, for a wide variety of clients.
- Obtain, update, and maintain plans, permits, and standard operating procedures.
- Provide technical-level support for environmental remediation and investigation projects.
- Collaborate with project team including environmental scientists, planners, hazardous waste technicians, engineers, and other specialists.
- Prepare, review, and update technical and recommendation reports.
- Monitor progress of environmental improvement programs.
- Under the guidance of the Project Manager, evaluate analytical laboratory data and draw conclusions to make recommendations.
- Communicate scientific and technical information to clients or internal audiences through oral briefings, written documents, and formal meetings.
- Assist in the development of proposals and other business development activities such as presentations and conference attendance.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Maintenance of technical data and files.
- Coordinates and interfaces with appropriate department personnel.
- Requires versatility and a willingness to support several activities with the flexibility to move between assignments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree or greater is required.
- Five or more years of Environmental experience required.
- Ability to pass federal government and/or DOD background check is required
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in scientific or engineering discipline. Includes BS Engineering, Geology, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Biology, and/or Environmental Management
- Five (5) or more years of relevant experience in environmental science or related field
- Department of Defense (DOD) and/or Air Force experience is preferred.
- Current HAZWOPER certification, CPR/First Aid required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Communicates clearly and concisely in speech and writing. Demonstrates understanding of and sensitivity to unspoken meaning and nonverbal cues. Facilitates communication across the organization and effectively interfaces with customer, contractor, and site personnel on a daily basis.
- Requires good interpersonal skills in dealing with others (colleagues and clients) to ensure that customer requests and needs are met. Must acknowledge and clarify customer inquiries, requests, or complaints to ensure that needs are identified, documented and addressed.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written and/or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving variables in non-standardized situations.
- Ability to maintain a schedule.
- Ability to adapt to and maintain a safety conscious work environment.
- Ability to demonstrate, conduct, and conform to a set of values and accepted standards, such as honesty, integrity, reliability, and accountability.
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task, and perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- US Government experience is preferred.
- Ability to travel is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be sitting for extended periods of time in an office environment. Sedentary physical workload; must be able to exert up to a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body; required to have a close visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading; specific physical requirements include, but are not limited to, sitting, walking, talking, hearing and performing repetitive motions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This position may require frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching in potentially inclement weather. He/she must be able to navigate the jobsite and must comply with all Company safety requirements in the office and on the jobsite.
The majority of the work is a split between indoors in a standard office environment and outside at project sites. The employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment can vary significantly between the office environment and at outdoor job sites.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.