Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record's list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position Summary: The Environmental Scientist is responsible for various environmental investigation, permitting, and impact analyses projects, and support for ecological restoration projects, applying knowledge of ecological and environmental practices and regulations. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Conducts research of designated environmental resources including wetlands, forests, streams, soils, plants, and wildlife
- Collects data and field samples during field investigations
- Analyzes and manages data received from field investigations; determines the location, size, condition, and impacts to designated environmental resources
- Documents methodologies and findings of research and field investigations
- Assists with geomorphic surveys and design efforts in support of ecological restoration projects
- Participates in environmental compliance surveys (e.g., stormwater management facilities, erosion and sediment control procedures, design/build projects, etc.) and Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Writes natural environmental technical reports, field delineation reports, impact assessments, environmental inspection reports, and similar reports with supervisory input and oversight
- Assists and/or manages with supervisory oversight various state, federal, and local regulatory permit application processes, such as Section 404/401, Endangered Species Act Section 7 & 10 Consultation, NPDES, , etc.
- Assists in the preparation of scopes of work, fee proposals, and responses to RFP's
- Participates in field investigations of cultural resources
- Project Management on small scale projects
- Participates in preparation of public involvement materials and attends public meetings
- Supports preparation of NEPA documents, including writing environmental setting and impact analyses sections
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with AutoCADD and/or MicroStation, ArcMap, and/or other GIS programs
- Bachelor's degree in Natural Resource Management, Environmental or Natural Science, Biology, Planning, Ecology, or a related field
- 3-10 years of environmental science experience
- Experience with wetland/forest/stream delineation and assessment, wildlife surveys & consultation, data collection and analysis, report writing and editing preferred
- Experience with regulatory permitting preferred
- Experience working on NCDOT projects preferred
- Experience with NC regulatory agencies such as USACE and NCDEQ preferred
- Wetland delineation and/or hydric soils training preferred
- Professional certifications (for example, Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS)) preferred
Work is performed within a general office environment approximately 75% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Office work is performed with adequate lighting and temperature, with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
Field work is required approximately 25% of the time and is conducted outdoors in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Field work will require walking and carrying field equipment over typical outdoor terrain. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed. Overnight travel may be required as part of field work.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationships and Teamwork
- Communication (written and verbal)
- Job-Focused Learning
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
- Quality Service
If Manages Others
- Managing Performance
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.