Req ID 13231 Geologist/Environmental Scientist Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We're looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future! Our Business
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood's Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Geologist/Environmental Scientist
for our Houston, TX
office. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges. This Opportunity
Provides technical assistance and guidance for due diligence, site investigation, and remediation projects. Tasks may include conducting site investigations, collecting environmental samples from various media (soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment, air/vapor), and conducting site exploration and geologic logging using a variety of drilling techniques. Generates accurate and concise reports and documentation regarding field conditions. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards. Your Impact
Who You Are Required Qualifications
- Assist with site investigation coordination, subsurface boring and trenching oversight, and monitoring of groundwater and extraction well installations.
- Collect environmental data including soil samples, soil gas samples, groundwater samples, surface water and sediment samples, and other media for projects.
- Maintain and calibrate equipment and tools, troubleshooting and reporting on malfunctions, and performing inventory control activities.
- Generate complete, accurate, and concise documentation using electronic systems and field/work site notebook.
- Prepare data evaluations and visualizations such as boring logs, soil analyses, groundwater classification assessments, maps, geologic cross-sections, and other illustrations.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of geologic, hydrogeologic, and chemical data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for low to mid-level mitigation activities.
- Assist with development and scoping of small- to medium-sized projects.
- Comply with safety guidelines, site-specific procedures and quality control guidelines which include but are not limited to, the maintenance of sample collection, trench and boring, laboratory documentation, written procedures, monitoring systems, and logbooks.
- Contribute to preparation of technical reports and presentations.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science, Geology, Hydrogeology, or closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of experience working as a Geologist.
- Knowledge of geological research techniques and protocols.
- Ability to coordinate with agency regulators and understand requirements.
- Experience sampling soil and groundwater via drilling including direct-push, hollow-stem auger, and other similar drilling methods.
- Experience installing groundwater monitoring wells, remediation wells, and/or soil gas wells.
- Experience writing groundwater monitoring reports and well installation reports.
- Processes, or products., and mitigation programs.
- Knowledge of relevant environmental laws, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Moderate proficiency with technical writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most cost-effective responses that will minimize waste, prevent pollution, and conserve resources.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP's health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master's Degree
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120)
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training
#LI-JF2 Additional Requirements
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 20%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: HOUSTON - 16200 PARK ROW
- All locations: US-TX-Austin, US-TX-Houston
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation - no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.