At Weston Solutions, Inc. (WESTON®) you will do meaningful work and make valuable contributions. Employee-ownership at Weston is a path to professional growth and access to diverse opportunities in a highly connected community that works together across key service areas to make a difference in the environment. Weston continues to evolve and adapt to our changing world as a premier provider of environmental and infrastructure services for over sixty years. In both the public and private sectors our teams help identify, solve, mitigate, and manage critical environmental issues to help clients achieve a more sustainable future.
WESTON® has an immediate opening for an Environmental Specialist. The position supports our contract with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 10 that includes Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Alaska and other Pacific Northwest clients. The successful candidate will have a strong desire to make a difference in our communities by doing work that helps to protect public health and our environment.
The position will include field and office work managing field projects involving investigations and remediation of hazardous waste sites. Specific duties will include, but are not limited to, leading projects, performing sampling of environmental media (soil, water, waste, air, etc.), chemical and physical screening of samples in the field, shipping samples to laboratories for analysis, evaluating analytical results, and preparing reports of investigations and removal actions. The position also includes participation as an on-call emergency responder, approximately 1 week per month, for assessment of oil and hazardous materials releases. This position requires the ability to travel.
This position is an integral member of the project team, interfacing with internal and external clients, preparing project deliverables, and clearly communicating with other project team members.
- B.S. in Science or Engineering with 3 - 10 years of experience (or additional relevant work experience based on qualifications).
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. (field equipment, PPE, etc.)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States and have a valid driver's license.
- Experience planning and leading environmental site investigations at sites with potentially hazardous substances.
- Interacting with clients to understand project objectives and expectations.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training in accordance with OSHA 29 CFR 1910 preferred.
- Preparation of field work plans, including health and safety plans and field sampling plans. Experience preparing quality assurance project plans (QAPP) and/or UFP QAPPs is a plus.
- Oversight of subcontractors
- Ability to organize and review data (analytical data, monitoring data)
- Collection of multimedia samples (soil, water, air, waste).
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Use of air and water monitoring instrumentation.
- Use of standard office applications (Microsoft Office suite)
- Technical report and planning document preparation.
- ICS training and experience is a plus.
- Rotations as an "on-call" responder available 24 hrs. a day for one week at a time (typically one or fewer times per month). Maintain preparedness for immediate mobilization while on-call.
- Assist or lead field work efforts, which may require travel to remote locations for up to two weeks at a time, potentially on short notice.
- Collection and management of environmental samples.
- Calibration and maintenance of a variety of multi-media monitoring and sampling equipment.
- Documentation of field activities and preparation of daily reports for EPA client.
- Use OSHA Level D-A PPE to make entries into potentially hazardous areas.
- Determines best method of data gathering, database management, and analysis of data to achieve goals.
- Consults with outside specialists to obtain most accurate and timely data possible while meeting project specifications and timetables.
- Prepares reports on methods and procedures as part of overall project.
- Produces quality samples and sampling techniques from which sound scientific data can be drawn into relevant and pertinent evaluation reports to the client's satisfaction.
- Provides completed projects including draft and final reports within the established budget and schedule.
We fully invest in our people: Weston provides a generous, comprehensive benefits package program that offers employees high value options with solid financial protection, meeting the personal needs of its people and their families.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K with base and matching employer stock contributions.
- Paid time off including personal, holiday, and parental leave.
- Life and disability plans.
- Critical illness and accident plans.
- Work/Life flexibility.
- Professional development opportunities.