Lead Environmental Scientist
Req ID 12203 Lead Environmental Scientist Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We're looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future! Our Business
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood E&I - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe. This Opportunity
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Lead Consultant Environmental Scientist,
for our Houston or Austin, Texas
office, to be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges by providing technical assistance and guidance for multi-site/phase environmental work processes, due diligence, investigation, remediation, impact assessment, and environmental permitting. You will have the opportunity to provide project leadership on environmental site assessments, determinations of overall risks to ecological and human health, corrective action strategies, classification of contaminated materials, and assisting with recommendations to avert degradation of air, water, and land resources. Responsible for ensuring projects are delivered with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards. Your Impact
Who You Are Required Qualifications
- Oversee preparation of technical reports and presentations that explain research, findings, and recommendations to prevent, control, restore, clean-up, and address environmental issues.
- Prepare more complex data and visualizations such as groundwater modeling, maps geologic cross-sections, and other illustrations.
- Provide guidance with data collection efforts for extracting, identifying, and compiling environmental data from soil sampling, soil gas sampling, groundwater sampling, stormwater sampling, boring logs, and other matrices for projects, investigations, and surveys.
- Provide guidance in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of geologic, hydrogeologic and environmental data obtained during field investigations, offering input for developing action plans for moderate- to high-level threat mitigation activities.
- Lead Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments.
- Lead site multi-media investigations, subsurface boring and trenching oversight, groundwater monitoring and extraction well installations, aquifer testing, geologic logging, multi-media sampling, and field mapping.
- Oversee and monitor cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Develop action plans for mid to larger-scale pollution, corrosion, hazardous waste, and environmental control project and programs.
- Assist with development and scoping of small, medium and large-sized projects.
- Ensure regulatory compliance with regulatory requirements pertaining to the data integrity, documentation, procedures, training, monitoring systems, and record compliance and retention.
- Prepare and implement site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements, statistical analysis, and reporting.
- Remain current in latest environmental engineering techniques and emerging contaminants of concern.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Environmental Science, Geology, Hydrogeology or related life sciences field.
- 7-10 years consulting industry experience.
- Essential professional licensure/certification.
- Project management experience with small, mid-level and large projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Successful candidate will be required to complete the in-house Project Management training program and become certified as a Project Manager within one year of employment.
- Well-defined specific knowledge of relevant environmental laws, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements under TRRP, RCRA and CERCLA.
- Proficient with geological research, investigation, technology, measurement tools, software, and techniques.
- Experience in conducting Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments in accordance with ASTM guidelines and industry standards.
- Experience sampling soil and groundwater via drilling including direct-push, hollow-stem auger, and other similar drilling methods.
- Experience installing groundwater monitoring wells, remediation wells, and soil gas wells.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Demonstrated high-level of self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Able to work as part of a team with diverse backgrounds and skills.
- Works independently and provides guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Highly proficient with technical writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most cost-effective responses that will minimize waste, prevent pollution, and conserve resources.
- Effective at coordinating and assertively directing others in the field such as subcontracted drillers, excavation contractors, utility locators, and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP's health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master's Degree in Environmental Science, Geology, Hydrogeology or related life sciences field.
- Experience with standard mapping software, ArcGIS software.
- Experience with standard modeling software, MODFLOW.
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120).
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training desired.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
#LI-JF2 Additional Requirements
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 30%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: AUSTIN - EXECUTIVE CENTER DR
- All locations: US-TX-Austin, US-TX-Houston
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation - no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.