Job Summary: Reporting to the Health, Safety, Environmental Manager for the Hub at Rochester, NY - the Environmental Scientist/Engineer will be responsible for driving sustainable implementation and oversight of environmental (performance and compliance) requirements in our Li-Cycle HUB facility at Rochester, NY.
Our ideal candidate will be a driven individual with high attention to detail and organization, and a positive "can-do" attitude. Primary Responsibilities:
• Support the development and implementation of key environmental systems programs and action plans to ensure compliant and sustainable operation at the Hub.
• This includes providing support/coordination with environmental regulatory permits and plans, including:
- State Stormwater Permits and Plan
- Solid Waste Permits and Programs o Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan
- NYSDEC Bulk Storage Registrations
- Air Permitting for the Federal or State level o Municipal permitting compliance
• Provide necessary training, leadership, organizing, and control to meet the company's environmental systems management performance goals. • Identify and work with applicable internal and external stakeholders to lead and manage facility's environmental compliance during construction, commissioning, and operation of the Hub.
• Coordinate procedures for pollution control, waste management, environmental management, conservation of resources and renewable energy.
• Identify opportunities for process optimization by applying core competencies on environmental compliance, quality, process/chemical engineering, construction, and operations. This includes optimizing/refining design criteria which directly impacts compliance, understanding mass and energy balance, and generally identifying requirements for sustainability enhancement from a technical standpoint.
• Be the technical support/lead in operationalizing the facility's environmental and municipal permitting conditions for the facility and streamlining a process for continuous compliance while the facility is operational.
• Oversee programs for periodic inspections, documentation, and response to corrective actions for workplace environmental and quality systems management requirements.
Assist in conducting incident investigations as necessary, including coaching and support for root cause analysis, and managing corrective actions to completion.
• Lead, strategize, and collaborate with regulatory bodies (Federal, State, and Municipal) to ensure facility is compliant with applicable environmental regulations.
• Act as an internal resource responsible for training on the operationalization of environmental permits and quality management systems and their requirements at the facility/frontline level
• Contribute to the development of environmental, quality management systems, and sustainability metrics for the Hub operations.
• The incumbent will also work on any additional projects and duties as needed (which could overlap with health and safety programming aspects).
• Degree in Chemical, Process/Industrial or Environmental Engineering
• A minimum of 6 years' related experience (health and safety experience can also be considered).
• Strong core chemical/process engineering competencies, including mass & energy balance development, chemical reaction engineering/design, and process modeling/analysis experience.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills with experience in dealing with regulatory bodies and/or auditors will be an asset.
• Previous experience working with complex industrial construction projects and chemical unit operations.
• Ability to apply engineering and/or scientific principles along with the skills as mentioned above, to understand environmental regulations and quality management systems requirements/applications for chemical and/or hydrometallurgical operations.
• Experience in developing and implementing environmental and/or quality management systems monitoring performance programs for industrial facilities.
• Experience in investigating environmental incidents; working with a team to achieve perspective from various sources for root causes; reporting and following corrective action(s) to completion. Corrective Actions shall be such that eliminate a recurrence of the incident/s.
• Experience/aptitude for assessing training needs, creating training materials to fulfill those needs, and then delivering the training program.
• Data Analytical Skills, and aptitude to develop as a professional/ practitioner in the HSE Space.
• Positive attitude with a focus on continuous learning and improvement.
• A valid driver's license and good driving record is necessary for this role.
• Strong Team Player and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to manage and overcome operational challenges (people, process and financial) for the optimal improvement of the Environmental and Quality Management System process.
• Proactive self-starter with an 'owner's mindset'; requires minimal direct supervision.
• Ability to evolve positively and quickly adapt to the situation(s) to enable optimal delivery of solutions.
• High-level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
• Consistently delivers quality work on time, with a strong attention to detail.
• Strong analytical, negotiation and creative problem-solving skills.
• High degree of time management.
• Maintains strict confidentiality and discretion with respect sensitive information.
• Exceptional oral communication, writing, and editing skills.