A Future with purpose
At Arup we're dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
We solve the world's most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We're a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future. The Opportunity
Is this role right for you?
- Support the delivery of qualitative and quantitative risk assessments for multiple hazards including flood, extreme heat, wind, wildfires, earthquakes, and climate change
- Work on resilient design analysis, performance optimization and climate adaptation consulting services on projects for the public and private sectors
- Demonstrate research experience related to mitigation, adaptation, and resilience strategies for building and infrastructure projects and portfolios, corporations/institutions, and cities/communities
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials
- Collaborate with others within the firm on projects that can benefit from your expertise
- Provide general support to the growth of Arup's Adaptation and Resilience consulting business, including client development and general business development.
We're looking for current students who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective - in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients - we'd like to hear from you. QualificationsRequired:
- Pursuing 4-year degree in Planning, Architecture, Building Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Economics, Public Policy, or a related field.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Demonstrated coursework in learning about climate change concepts and natural hazards
- Demonstrated foundational understanding of concepts related to sustainability, climate change, climate resilience and natural hazards, and energy.
- Demonstrated understanding of social equity and environmental justice issues
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional research, writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the US without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future to be considered for this role
Our team's notable projects
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and demonstrated experience with graphics and visualization.
- Demonstrated experience with ArcGIS
- Understanding of factors which influence the resilience of buildings, infrastructure, organizations, and communities
- Interest in climate science and understanding of climate change scenarios
- Understanding of the effects of climate change and strategies for adaptation and resilience
- Understanding of vulnerability and risk assessment methodologies
- Familiarity with resilience tools and guidelines, such as the City Resilience Index, New York City's Climate Resiliency Design Guidelines, Boston's
- Coastal Flood Resilience Overlay District, the BPDA Climate Change Resilience Checklist, and other municipal tools and guidelines
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our office include:
What we offer you
- USC Village
- LA Memorial Coliseum
- The Broad Museum
Each year, Arup seeks out students from around the world for our summer internship program. We look for diverse students with inquisitive minds and the desire to challenge themselves. Our interns learn quickly, are natural problem solvers and thrive on innovation. You will work alongside talented professionals and contribute to the success of real projects. In addition to on-the-job experience, we offer learning sessions with top leadership, site visits to local projects and social events. New York City Hiring Range
- The good faith base salary hiring range for this job if performed in New York City, NY is $26.00 to $37.00 per hour. Please note hiring ranges for candidates performing work outside of New York City, NY will differ. Flexible Working
- We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for remote work are available throughout the program. Next Steps
We will be reviewing our candidates for this position on a rolling basis. Once you have applied you will be evaluated and potentially moved on to the next round, at which point a member of the talent resourcing team will reach out to you directly to begin the interview process. For any status updates regarding your candidacy please be sure to check your candidate portal. Different people, shared values
Our internal employee networks support our inclusive culture - from race, ethnicity and cross-cultural working to gender, LGBTQ+ and disability - we aim to create a space for you to express yourself and make a positive difference - Discover more about life at Arup at www.arup.com/careers/your-life-at-arup.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.