HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Sr Principal Scientist Computational Biology AI/MLLiveWhat you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. Amgen leverages commercially available and proprietary machine learning (ML) platforms to connect our research scientists with new insights about target or disease biology, therapeutic candidates, and ultimately to help shape our therapeutic portfolio. These platforms ingest, organize, and interpret vast and diverse information sources, including biomedical literature, knowledge bases, product catalogs, and patents, in addition to Amgen internal information.
We are seeking a biologist with a strong understanding of therapeutic discovery and machine learning particularly natural language processing (NLP) and large language models (LLMs) to help guide and implement internal strategy for leveraging and developing such platforms. The ideal candidate will have experience with (i) discovery biology in biopharma, (ii) modeling of biological systems, and (iii) operating successfully in interdisciplinary teams of biologists, chemists, and digital technologists.
The selected candidate will be a member of the Amgen Center for Research Acceleration by Digital Innovation (CRADI), which internalizes and develops new data scientific methodologies to accelerate therapeutic discovery and development. The candidate will also have close collaborative ties with the discovery biology organization and other Research functions.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a focused team of digital biologists that operate AI/ML-based therapeutic insight platforms to assist therapeutic project teams in:
revealing new knowledge about their targets or therapeutic candidates designing the shortest experimental paths to build target conviction risk/efficacy assessment of proposed therapeutic strategies
WinWhat we expect of you
- Engage with Amgens Portfolio Stewardship lead and other senior R&D leaders and Program Team Leads to translate AI/ML-driven biological insights into accelerated delivery and improved success rates
- Take an active role in ML/AI development (e.g. NLP, LLMs, VAEs), information system infrastructure, and establishment of best practices in advanced knowledge base and scientific document analytics
- Train a select group of research colleagues in the use of these AI/ML-based platforms
- Work closely with scientists to discover and validate new targets and biomarkers
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
Doctorate degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 3 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and development
Masters degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 6 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and development
Bachelors degree in biology or biochemistry (or equivalent field) and 8 years of industrial experience in discovery biology or therapeutics discovery and developmentPreferred Qualifications:
ThriveWhat you can expect of us
- Doctoral degree in biology and 8+ years of experience in discovery biology in Oncology, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease, or Inflammation
- A Masters degree in statistical modeling, machine learning, or AI, or equivalent experience
- Experience with transformers and LLMs, as well as cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience with generative modeling of biological systems/data
- Experience with leading external collaborations and partnerships
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is$158,148 - $173,481.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
Apply nowfor a career that defies imagination
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.