ATCC is seeking a Biologist for a direct hire full time role at Plum Island located in NewYork. The Biologist is responsible for preparing for and conducting experiments on biological materials and processes. Following general instruction, they conduct testing and studies to advance product development and research. They collect and report on data and findings.
The Biologist monitors laboratory supplies, equipment, and cleanliness. They generally work on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data require a review of a variety of factors. The Biologist applies organizational policies and procedures to resolve a variety of problems while applying professional knowledge.Prior work under Select Agent registration is preferred. Prior experience working in containment (BSL-3) is strongly preferred. Responsibilities Prepare for and conduct experiments to assist in studying the effects of varying materials, chemicals, environments, and physical conditions on biological materials and processes using standard scientific techniques and methods. Perform viability and purity checks on biological materials.Utilize a variety of biological techniques to contribute to tests and studies that advance product research and development objectives.Collect and analyze data, make detailed observations, and repot results. Test and document results neatly and accurately in notebooks, batch records and databases.Perform research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects.Contribute to summarizing, presenting, and drawing conclusions of research findings to help inform decisions.Participate in the creation and development of new methods and technologies for project advancement.Aid in preparation of research documentation, such as reports, summaries, publications, and presentations.Support laboratory operations by ordering, monitoring, and reporting on department supply levels, monitoring equipment functionality and cleaning laboratory equipment.Remain current on biology research methods, techniques, and developments.Solve a variety of problems of moderate scope applying organizational policy and procedure. Qualifications Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree and 2-5 years' experience or equivalent experience.
- Works under moderate supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Sound knowledge of laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Ability to function as a participant in a team environment.
- Demonstrates aseptic techniques appropriate to assigned discipline.
- Experienced with lab skills and safety procedures including proper handling of chemicals and/or biologicals.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Communicates effectively with ATCC programs as well as customer and technical services.
- Ability to exercise judgment and make good decisions.
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Perform other duties as assigned.