Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area with the consolidation of three Bay Area facilities to a new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie's research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
The Sr. Scientist II will be responsible for;
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Seize opportunities to pursue project relevant leads that are in line with the group's strategy.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- Design and execute experiments in cancer cell biology and molecular biology using cell lines, primary human and mouse cells with minimal guidance. Techniques include but not limited to cellular phenotyping, cell activation, differentiation and proliferation assessment, qPCR, ELISA, Western blot, cell transfection, reporter cell line generation, molecular cloning, and generate knockout and knock-in cells in vitro using genome editing techniques.
- Under minimal supervision, independently establish and optimize in vitro biochemical and cellular assays; screen and characterize compounds using cell-free and cell-based assays including but not limited to study of drug dose response, MoA, cellular efficacy, cytotoxicity, etc.
- Proactively solve problems and bottleneck to move research projects (and/or new technologies) forward, and may serve as point of technical consultation in certain experimental techniques and/or operation of complex instruments.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and typically 12 years of experience, Master's Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, PhD and typically 4 years of experience.
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline.
- Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
· Have significant level of scientific and technical expertise and experience in cell culture, flow cytometry, cellular and molecular assays, epithelial and cancer biology, and pharmacology study of compounds.
· Preferably having worked in pharma, biotech or CRO for 2-3 years or longer.
· Experience working with primary cells is strongly encouraged.
· Experience working with cancer cells of solid tumors is a plus.
· Some experience in molecular biology, molecular cloning, genome editing, and structural biology experience is preferred.
· Ensure lab record and data accuracy and laboratory safety.
· Preparing/presenting results in team meeting in English, help scientist prepare internal documentations or presentations.
· Independent problem solving, collaboration and teamwork are required.
· Contribute to patents and publications.
· Familiar with scientific or technical literature within the scientific field and related areas.
· Able to record and present results in English.
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law: The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future. We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off. (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs. This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs. Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company's sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie's policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.