- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of the particular area of research throughout the life of the project, reviewing available literature on new methods and techniques for potential application within the laboratory.
- Calibrate and operate a variety of laboratory instruments used to perform tests, analyses and other laboratory procedures.
- Provide oversight, guidance, and training to collaborators, post-doctoral students and other students, and laboratory personnel in the use of sophisticated laboratory equipment and in the performance of specialized procedures/techniques.
- Work independently with collection, analyzing, and ability to interpret data, draw conclusions and ability to plan out future experiments.
- Provide support and independently plans, develops, and implements full range complex experiments.
- Participate with the Principal Investigator in managing the day-to-day operation of the laboratory, including coordinating activities of diverse laboratory research projects and personnel, and ensuring availability of equipment and supplies.
Requirements Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of a background investigation, verification of qualifications, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, and any other job-related requirement before or after appointment.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Position requires Education. Please submit transcripts with your application.
In order to qualify for a Biologist, GS-0401 position, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's (or graduate) degree in a biological science, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to this position, from an accredited college or university;OR
You must have a combination of experience and education which includes courses comparable to a major in a biological science, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry or related disciplines appropriate to this position, AND appropriate experience or additional education which demonstrates similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, in order to qualify for a Biologist position at the GS-13 level, you must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: independently developing, planning, and implementing research; analyzing and interpreting data from laboratory experiments; preparing scientific reports, analytical interpretations, conclusions, or recommendations, typically for publication; using a variety of laboratory instruments to perform analyses; and developing new protocols and procedures to use in conducting studies.
You will receive credit for all experience material to the position, including experience gained in religious, civic, welfare, service, and organizational activities, regardless of whether you received pay.
Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: Education
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
- This position is designated as an "emergency essential" position and the selected candidate will be considered an "emergency essential" employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- This position is eligible for local remote work, a position designation where onsite presence is required only on an irregular or infrequent basis, not to exceed two days or 16 hours every two weeks. Your worksite (e.g., home residence) must be within the Washington-Baltimore-Arlington pay locality to be eligible. Visit OPM's page for pay locality definitions. Visit NIH's Remote Work page for more information and requirements.
- Visit our Applicant FAQs page for helpful information on the application process.
- Visit our Total Compensation page and this sample for a detailed look into the benefits, awards, leave, retirement, and other incentives employees may receive as part of a rewarding work environment.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
The position(s) advertised in this announcement are covered by a direct hire authority. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants, including category rating, does not apply to this vacancy. You will be initially evaluated against the basic qualifications only. Qualified applicants will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veterans' Preference does not apply to positions covered by a direct hire authority.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry and substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.