As the environmental challenges facing the world grow, so too has Microsoft's commitment to ensuring that the company's activities are in-line with the best available science and the expectations of leading stakeholder communities. The Corporate External and Legal Affairs (CELA) Environmental Sustainability (ES) team coordinates overall science-based, measurable, and scalable sustainability investments and outcomes across the company - engaging with business groups to set goals related to reductions in the environmental impacts of business operations and positive environmental outcomes resulting from technology and policy development.
Microsoft's central sustainability team sits at the hub of a network of sustainability stakeholders. Our role is to set the strategy and serve as the coordinating body of a cross-company effort to minimize the negative environmental impacts of our business operations and maximize the positive environmental impacts of our product deployments, partnership engagements, and policy positions.
We're looking for a skilled Environmental Risk & Compliance Program Manager
to work with internal and external partners to drive the creation of climate risk models and climate transition risk models to generate an informed enterprise disclosure response both through voluntary (e.g. Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)) and regulatory channels. This role will also work with stakeholders to coordinate Microsoft's workplace environmental compliance with all applicable environmental laws, regulations, and voluntary standards to protect the environment.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of leading high-impact projects at a global scale. The ideal candidate will need to work collaboratively with a wide variety of internal/external stakeholder groups. Other responsibilities include: Climate risk
- Create and drive long term strategies for identifying, assessing, and managing climate-related risks
- Ensure that our understanding and management of climate-related risks can be translated into consistent disclosures for use by customers, partners, shareholders, and other stakeholders
- Partner with Government Affairs to support policies and plans to address the impact of climate risks and climate change
- Globally manage and develop external strategic relationships with industry trade groups and non-governmental entities regarding climate risk, compliance, and safety
- Develop relevant tools and resources to support the company's sustainability agenda
- Leverages knowledge of machine learning solutions (e.g., classification, regression, clustering, forecasting, Natural Language Processing (NLP), image recognition, etc.) and individual algorithms (e.g., linear and logistic regression, k-means, gradient boosting, autoregressive integrated moving average [ARIMA], recurrent neutral networks [RNN], long short-term memory [LSTM] networks) to identify the best approach to complete objectives.
- Understands modeling techniques (e.g., dimensionality reduction, cross-validation, regularization, encoding, assembling, activation functions) and selects the correct approach to prepare data, train and optimize the model, and evaluate the output for statistical and business significance.
- Understands the risks of data leakage, the bias/variance tradeoff, methodological limitations, etc.
- Constructs hypotheses, designs controlled experiments, analyzes results using statistical tests, and communicates findings to business stakeholders.
- Effectively communicates with diverse audiences on data quality issues and initiatives. Understands operational considerations of model deployment, such as performance, scalability, monitoring, maintenance, integration into engineering production system, stability. Develops operational models that run at scale through partnership with data engineering teams. Coaches less experienced engineers on data analysis and modeling best practices. Develops a strong understanding of the Microsoft toolset in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) (e.g., Azure Machine Learning, Azure Cognitive Services, Azure Databricks). Breaks down complex statistics and machine learning topics into manageable topics to explain to customers. Helps the Solution Architect and provides guidance on model operationalization that is built into the project approach using existing technologies, products and solutions, as well as established patterns and practices.
- Acquires data necessary for successful completion of the project plan. Proactively detects changes and communicates to senior leads. Develops useable data sets for modeling purposes. Contributes to ethics and privacy policies related to collecting and preparing data by providing updates and suggestions around internal best practices. Contributes to data integrity/cleanliness conversations with customers.
- Understands relationship between selected models and business objectives. Ensures clear linkage between selected models and desired business objectives. Assesses the degree to which models meet business objectives. Defines and designs feedback and evaluation methods. Coaches and mentors less experienced engineers as needed. Presents results and findings to senior customer stakeholders.
- Collaborates with end customer and Microsoft internal cross-functional stakeholders to understand business needs. Formulates a roadmap of project activity that leads to measurable improvement in business performance metrics over time. Influences stakeholders to make solution improvements that yield business value by effectively making compelling cases through storytelling, visualizations, and other influencing tools. Exemplifies and enforces team standards related to bias, privacy, and ethics.
- Work with key Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) and compliance stakeholders to assess the company's ability to meet applicable regulations and to exceed customer, shareholder, and employee expectations
- Lead a cross company process for determining gaps within our governance process and ensure we have a plan to improve management controls of various environmental impacts
- Manage key internal stakeholder partnerships to implement joint projects and provide business insight on EHS governance, risk management, and controls.
- Embody our culture and values
- Bachelor's Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 5+ years data-science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR Master's Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 3+ years data-science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR Doctorate in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 1+ year(s) data-science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the successful implementation and championing of environmental regulatory and sustainability requirements
- Demonstrated experience in managing global EHS programs and associated resources for large organizations preferably in the technology or critical infrastructure industries
- Demonstrated experienc...