The Lead Biologist is responsible for producing a wide range of complex viral products and fulfilling production orders to maintain the inventory of materials based on forecasted needs for the BioProduction department. Taking a lead role, they participate and coordinate the work of others that manufacture products and ensure established protocols are followed and documented according to published SOPs in a manner that meets production schedules. The Lead Biologist will also act as a subject matter expert and will provide guidance to less experienced biologists, assist the supervisor in administrative duties and be able to attend certain meetings as a representative of the supervisor as necessary.
The Lead Biologist determines methods for monitoring laboratory supplies, equipment, and cleanliness. They handle complex issues where analysis of data requires the evaluation of a variety of factors. The Lead Biologist resolves a wide range of issues in creative and effective ways. They exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities of an advanced nature, simultaneously with attention to detail while maintaining accurate records. In addition, the following experience is highly preferred:
Responsibilities Assist in determining the methods and procedures for producing complex or new products and providing a consistent process that will allow less experienced biologists to produce these products in the future.Decide which biological techniques are utilized to contribute to the manufacturing of products. Perform viability and purity checks on biological materials.Collect and analyze complex data, make detailed observations, and interpret results. Test, validate, and document results neatly and accurately in notebooks, batch records and databases.Document, present, and draw meaningful conclusions of investigations to help inform and support difficult decisions.Lead laboratory operations by determining methods for ordering, monitoring, and reporting on department supply levels, monitoring equipment functionality and cleaning laboratory equipment.Remain current and in advance of biology research methods, techniques, and developments.Lead, guide, and coordinate the work of laboratory staff within assigned production orders and projects. Prepare for internal and external audits.Trains others in laboratory and departmental procedures.Troubleshoots and maintains instrumentation in good working condition.Participates in technology transfer within ATCC, as appropriate. Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is required.
- A basic understanding of Virology and In vitro virus culture experience is required.
- Molecular experience in PCR, ddPCR, DNA/RNA extractions/purification is a plus.
- Experience writing SOPs and work instructions.
- Experience training and mentoring others.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 is beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree and 8 or more years' experience, including 0-2 years' supervisory experience or equivalent experience.
- Advance computer skills including expertise in the appropriate fields of ATCC's ERP system.
- Serves as a technical expert within relevant scientific discipline.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to lead others in the attainment of program goals and objectives.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience in complex lab skills and safety procedures including proper handling of chemicals and/or biologicals.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and ability to function in a team environment.
- Demonstrates aseptic techniques appropriate to assigned discipline.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex data.
- Ability to exercise judgment and make good decisions.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities of a complex nature, simultaneously.
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge. ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Perform other duties as assigned.