Molecular BiologistGeneral Summary
Southern Research is seeking a MSc or PhD level scientist with a passion for moving science in drug discovery using molecular biology and leveraging Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) to accelerate our drug discovery pipeline and commercial enterprises. The selected candidate shall possess a strong background in NGS library preparation and NGS method development. Experience in molecular engineering would be a benefit to this position. The successful candidate will be able to take ownership of the NGS platform through analyzing various samples and developing new methods supporting functional genomics in cancer biology and infectious disease research.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and execute complex molecular biology protocols, specifically various NGS-based library preparation and characterization protocols, using established molecular biology techniques and novel solutions.
- Technical Troubleshooting
- Identify and implement new technologies to accelerate NGS workflows
- Responsible for data accumulation, data analysis, and interpretation
- Work in cross-functional teams with Chemistry, Biology, and High Throughput Screening scientists
- Collaborates with chemistry and biology teams addressing functional genomic and epigenetic disease states
- Extensive participation and leadership of project/program teams that focus on functional genomics and epigenetics.
- Cultivates collaborations within SR and throughout the UAB research community.
- Observes appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- MSc or Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biology, Biological Engineering, or related/relevant discipline with
- More than 2 years, for Ph.D., or greater than 4 years, for MSc, of relevant experience developing and running NGS platform processes.
- Experience using Illumina NGS platforms, other platforms would be applicable as well, and NGS library generation.
- Knowledge of basic NGS data analysis is desirable as well as solid understanding or hands-on-experience with analytical approaches and tools for genomic data analysis.
- Skilled molecular engineering focused in recombinant DNA libraries is a plus
- Python or equivalent programming ability, with some understanding of Machine Learning.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across multiple scientific disciplines. Ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors
- Ability to determine approaches and procedures to new assignments and must be capable of providing guidance to peers.
This position requires significant physical abilities including (but not limited to):
- Standing, walking or climbing for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing objects
- Perform repetitive activities
- Fine motor skills and manual dexterity
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to utilize required PPE in lab environment
- This position is a laboratory environment and requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including:
- Safety glasses
- Laboratory coats
- Nitrile and latex gloves (varies based on tasks)