The Biologics Discovery Sciences group is seeking a highly motivated research scientist to join the B Cell Discovery and Sequencing Technologies team at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC). The ABC site, based in Worcester, MA, offers the unique setting where Biologics drug discovery, development and manufacturing coexist in one location. Our team interacts with multidisciplinary groups across AbbVie focused on developing therapies for Immunology, Neurology and Oncology diseases. We utilize innovative immunization approaches, advanced multiplex screening assays and best-in-class automation platforms to enable successful antibody discovery against complex targets.
As an integral part of the group, the ideal candidate will:
- Execute molecular biology workflows to capture antibody sequences from hybridoma and single-cell sources enabling discovery of antibodies as well as novel therapeutic formats
- Analyze and document results, placing data in proper scientific context through review of relevant literature and report findings at team meetings
- Demonstrate scientific excellence through dedication to multiple projects in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment
- Exhibit a can-do attitude with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to multiple teams across different functional areas
- BS or MS in Biology or other related field with typically 3-5+ years (BS), or 0-2+ years (MS) of industry or academic experience
- Understanding and proficiency in molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR, molecular cloning)
- Understanding of DNA sequencing techniques (NGS and Sanger) and sequence analysis
- Strong attention to quality and details when exercising organizational, documentation and communication skills
- Proven flexibility to deal with changing timelines and shifting work priorities
- Competency with software programs, including DNA analysis (Geneious, Sequencher) and MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Familiarity with immunology and antibody genetics
- Experience with advanced automation platforms
- Experience with bioinformatics and computer programming
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, aseptic technique, and transient transfection
- Experience in immunoassays using techniques like ELISA and flow cytometry
Position will be hired based on knowledge and/or level of experience.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie's policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person's relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.