About the role:
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a Director, Head of Gastrointestinal Computational and Systems Biology where you will lead the GI Computational and Systems Biology (C&SB) team with accountability for establishing C&SB strategies and supporting projects from early research through clinical development. You will also generate and access large-scale data resources and build and drive collaborations with internal groups, CROs, and academic partners to support GI projects in clinical and discovery stages. As part of the Gastroenterology Drug Discovery Unit (GI DDU), you will report to the VP & Head of Translational Medicine & Biomarker Research.
How you will contribute:
- Manage a team of C&SB scientists and lead cross-functional teams and cross-culture and cross-location collaborations to achieve project goals.
- Lead strategic planning and execution of C&SB supporting clinical, translational, and research goals.
- Build and maintain strong collaborative relationships with various key partnering functions, e.g. GI Therapeutic Area Unit, GI Drug Discovery Unit, Clinical Science, Clinical Biomarker, Quantitative Science, and other functions and teams.
- Biological knowledge in one or more areas of inflammation, inflammatory bowel disease, or liver and gut fibrosis.
- Build, lead, and contribute to key partnerships with academic and industrial entities.
- Identify, build, and use bioinformatic pipelines to QC, process and analyze omics data types including genomics, transcriptomics, single-cell sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, and more.
- Create visualizations, interpret high-dimensional data, and deliver and explain results to cross-functional teams.
- Work collaboratively with data scientists and data engineering groups to enhance our computational infrastructure, user interface, query, and visualization capabilities.
- Ph.D. degree in a scientific discipline, with 10+ years of working experience.
- Previous industry leadership experience, with a strong background in applying C&SB to research, translational and clinical programs.
- Deep knowledge and extensive working experience with high dimensional data analysis and integration, with various data types including Next Generation Sequencing, epigenetics, single-cell sequencing, and more.
- Solid knowledge of Unix/Linux, command line interfaces, and fluency in some common scripting and/or programming language (e.g., R, Python, Perl, Java, C / C++).
- Strong knowledge, experience, and scientific understanding of molecular biology and genomics.
- Hands-on experience with computational method evaluation, development, and implementation.
- Familiarity with popular public domain data sources and programmatic interfaces.
- Experience designing and conducting computational biology activities to meet program objectives; able to provide input on timelines and resource needs as indicated.
- Excellent ability to manage and develop direct reports and teams to achieve computational biology support for discovery, translational and clinical projects.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and a company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best-in-class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
Base Salary Range: $160,300.00 to $229,000.00, based on the candidate's professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short-Term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program, and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law. Locations
San Diego, CAWorker Type