HSBC GR is an independent research house with a strong focus on Emerging Markets (EMs). We have 350 analysts covering 1,900+ companies, 60+ economies, 45+ sovereigns' rates and 50+ currencies globally. Our analysts, based out of 22 countries, are spread across Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Americas, the Middle East and Africa.
With a particular focus on EMs, UK, as well as environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, we provide regular comment and analysis on topics including economics, currencies, fixed income and equities. Our goal is to generate unrivalled investment opportunities for our clients by sharing our insights and creating thought-provoking ideas. Role Overview (Research Analyst)
This is an entry-level role to the Global Research team where the candidate would work alongside other analysts to help produce research reports, including fields such as macroeconomics, interest rate strategy, currency strategy, ESG and equity analysis. We are currently seeking an ambitious individual to join the Research Americas team. In this role, you will:
- Contribute to production of investment analysis reports.
- The role will particularly focus on developing skills as a data scientist working in an investment research environment
- This would include learning how to build predictive machine learning models and applying modern Natural Language Processing techniques to financial markets.
- The role will offer exposure to all Global Markets asset classes and will involve working with other analysts in macroeconomic research, FX and rates strategy, ESG and equity analysis.
- The role will be client facing, with the opportunity to present and discuss your research with a global client base of sophisticated investors.
- HSBC values should be present in every aspect of the role, both individually and as an organisation. This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours of: Dependable and do the right thing, Open to different ideas and cultures, Connected to customers, communities, regulators and each other
- The role has a hybrid working pattern allowing for home based and office-based working at HSBC offices in New York City.
For this role, HSBC targets a fixed pay range between $100,000 and $110,000.
The final fixed pay offer will depend on the candidate and a number of variables, including but not limited to, role responsibilities, skill set, depth of experience and education, licensing/certification requirements, internal relativity, and specific work location.
At HSBC, our overall goal is to provide a competitive Total Reward Package, with an appropriate mix of fixed pay, and variable pay, as part of an employee's overall total compensation and benefits. Variable pay generally takes the form of discretionary, annual awards (sometimes referred to as a "bonus"). Additionally, HSBC offers a wide range of competitive and flexible benefits designed to help you improve your health and well-being, finances, and lifestyle. Requirements
In compliance with applicable laws, HSBC is committed to employing only those who are authorized to work in the US. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. as HSBC will not engage in immigration sponsorship for this position.
- Strong numeracy and quantitative analysis skills
- Some knowledge of Python, and ideally some awareness/familiarity with common data science packages such as pandas, numpy, sklearn, xgboost, spacy, and transformers
- Demonstrate an understanding of (and curiosity in) financial markets
- An ability to take initiative on independent research
- Computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Must be detail-oriented to handle various data and to minimize errors
- Good team player and having ability to perform multiple tasks
- Organized; diligent; ability to put in extra effort when required
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills would be welcomed.
- Graduate from a quantitative degree course, such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. Candidates with finance-related degrees who can demonstrate a focus on quantitative modules would also be considered
- This is an entry-level role so prior experience is not a requirement, but any relevant work in this area (e.g. projects/summer work placements) would of course be welcomed
As an HSBC employee, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities to ensure you have the right skills for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package including a robust Wellness Hub, all in a welcoming, diverse and inclusive work environment. You will be empowered to drive HSBC's engagement with the communities we serve through an industry-leading volunteerism policy, a generous matching gift program, and a comprehensive program of immersive Sustainability and Climate Change Initiatives. You'll want to join our Employee Resource Groups as they play a central part in life at HSBC, including the development of our employees and networking inside and outside of HSBC. We value difference. We succeed together. We take responsibility. We get it done. And we want you to help us build the bank of the future!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, race, national origin, ethnicity, disability or medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran service, religion, creed, sex, gender, pregnancy, childbirth, caregiver status, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other trait protected by applicable law.