Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren't words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You'll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
The Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) mission is to Pioneer, Partner and Predict to drive transformative insights for patient benefit. IPS conducts applied computational research in areas that include genomic, structural and molecular informatics, computational and systems biology, patient selection and translational biomarker research, and broader fields including knowledge science, epidemiology and machine learning-across the full lifecycle of drug discovery and development and across all therapeutic areas at BMS. We do this in close partnership with scientific and clinical experts in the field, both inside and outside the company. We perform innovative science to empower key data-driven decisions across a rich pipeline of next-generation medicines. In doing so, our work transforms the lives of patients, as well as our own lives and careers.
Here, you'll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. You'll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma
We seek a collaborative and highly innovative computational scientist to join our Predictive Sciences team and develop cutting-edge computational strategies to discover novel targeting opportunities within, or utilizing, the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS) and other protein homeostasis pathways.
This position will work alongside colleagues in Protein Homeostasis, Small Molecule Drug Design and other teams in the global Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) department. The successful applicant will play a key scientific role in shaping the future of our most advanced protein degradation modalities to pursue therapeutic opportunities in spaces beyond the reach of conventional small molecule drug approaches. We welcome applications from candidates who are passionate about learning a new drug discovery paradigm, bringing new medicines to the patients, and comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. Responsibilities
- Contribute to machine learning research in predicting activity from protein structural features for targeted protein degradation applications.
- Collaborate in the design, validation and application of chemoproteomics, chemogenomics and protein structure prediction approaches to identify novel degrader mechanisms.
- Integrate high-dimensional proteomics, transcriptomics, protein-protein interaction & clinical data to prioritize and propose novel point of intervention within the UPS pathway.
- Design and implement systems & network biology approaches to elucidate and predict novel E3 ligase properties to guide target identification and biomarker selection.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results, and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Bachelor's Degree in structural bioinformatics, machine learning or computational biology and 7+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree in structural bioinformatics, machine learning or computational biology and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD in structural bioinformatics, machine learning or computational biology and 2+ years of academic / industry experience
- Ph.D. in structural bioinformatics, machine learning or with 2+ years of post-doctoral experience in applying computational and analytical approaches in university, pharma, or biotech settings, focusing on drug discovery, or elucidating underlying disease pathology.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate heterogeneous data sources and apply predictive, multivariate research approaches to integrated molecular and chemistry datasets.
- Strong working knowledge of protein structure/folding and protein-ligand interaction prediction.
- Proven expertise in development and implementation of algorithms to distill, analyze and interpret protein and ligand structures and genomics and proteomics datasets.
- Ability to work with noisy and missing data to tease out relevant information.
- Knowledge of various parametric and non-parametric statistical tests and ability to identify and apply the appropriate statistical test.
- Mastery of various programming and scripting languages (R, Python, or Matlab).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in machine learning/deep learning.
- Experience in structural biology or cheminformatics.
- Knowledge of drug discovery in pre-clinical and early phase drug development stages.
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $109,000-$150,700, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn't perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career. Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as "Transforming patients' lives through science™ ", every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.On-site Protocol
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.