Requisition Id10675 Overview
TheField Intelligence Operations Division (FIOD)at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a highly motivated a Technical Professional who will focus on classified manufacturing of materials in extreme environments, with the focus on thermal protection systems. The successful candidate will be expected to execute classified research and development in the FIOD for national security programs including, but not limited to: operating additive manufacturing systems; operating polymer composite manufacturing systems, designing test and demonstration articles, preparing material samples; analyzing samples; and preparing reports of the results of such analyses. The position will primarily focus on polymer additive manufacturing and continuous fiber composite processing. You will also be expected to collaborate amongst groups focusing on basic and applied research in various fields applicable to the current projects.This position will report directly to the FIOD Director in the National Security Science Directorate's newly forming Classified Materials and Additive Manufacturing Group and will require a Top Secret Clearance with access to Q and SCI.As part of our research team, you will lead execution of tasks necessary to advance the science of manufacturing with emphasis on polymer additive manufacturing for preforms for carbon, metal and ceramic composites. Experience in manufacturing, machining, and composite materials is critical for this position. You will be expected to simultaneously execute multiple projects, contribute to lab set-up, operations, maintenance of equipment, interact with ORNL staff, industry, federal, national security, and academic partners. Major Duties/Responsibilities:
Basic Qualifications Required:
- Execute tasks for projects in the area of carbon-carbon composites.
- Execute tasks for projects in the area of metals additive manufacturing.
- Execute tasks for projects in the area of polymer additive manufacturing.
- Execute tasks for projects in the area of continuous fiber composite manufacturing.
- Execute tasks for projects in the area of high rate composite manufacturing.
- Prepare polymeric, ceramic and composite materials and intermediates.
- Contribute to lab set-up and operations
- Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivityPrepare and present periodic reports documenting research and development
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- Deliver ORNL's mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace - in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- A B.S. in Multidisciplinary Studies, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or a related discipline.
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a classified laboratory.
- Candidate must be a US citizen must have an active Top Secret level security clearance.
- 5+ years of work/research experience.
- Experience with R&D environment involving industrial partners.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative and frequently interacting teams of researchers.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. Additionally, the position will also be subject to random polygraph testing.
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelleoffers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities. Relocation:
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer. Nearest Major Market: