Director of Operations and Programs
- Society for Conservation Biology North America
- United States
- Closing date
- Apr 16, 2023
- Conservation science
- Job Level
- Senior level
- Salary Type
- Employment Type
- Full time
The Director of Operations and Programs (DOP) manages the daily operation of the Society for Conservation
Biology North America (SCBNA), a 501(c)3 not-for-profit entity. The DOP works with the SCBNA board and
volunteers to further our mission to advance the scientific study and conservation of biological diversity and to
strengthen the community of conservation scientists and practitioners in North America. Essential functions and
responsibilities include administrative, finance, conference and other programs management, governance, and
outreach duties as described below. SCBNA is a non-profit organization incorporated in 2016, representing
conservation professionals in North America. SCBNA is an affiliate and regional section of the global Society for
Conservation Biology and a founding member of the Diversity Joint Venture to increase diversity in the
The DOP is primarily responsible for SCBNA’s administrative support and information and programs
management, and supports the board of SCBNA, particularly the President and Treasurer, in their work. The DOP
reports to the Board. Currently, the DOP is the sole full-time SCBNA employee, although there is part-time
support and additional staff are anticipated as the organization grows. Therefore, the position allows substantial
scope for individual initiative, but also requires a high level of self-directed organizational skills, a willingness to
work within existing organizational mandates and to collaborate with a wide variety of individuals involved in
SCBNA. SCBNA is committed to increasing justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity both within the conservation
field and in conservation efforts. A strong commitment to equity and inclusion and to advancing the field of
conservation science is required for this position. Familiarity with the Society for Conservation Biology is highly
desirable. The SCBNA DOP works remotely from home or a co-working facility of their choosing, but must be
based in the US.
Administrative (approximately 0.20 full-time equivalent (FTE)):
● Create, maintain, and adhere to procedures for personnel, operations, and grant tracking.
● Work with the SCBNA Board to prepare grant proposals.
● Coordinate fellowship or award programs offered by SCBNA.
● Supervise and exercise managerial responsibility for any other SCBNA employees, including those that
may be hired in the future.
● Work with the Executive Committee to coordinate any necessary reporting to SCB-Global.
● Maintain a database of files and reports for SCBNA board.
● Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Finance (approximately 0.20 FTE):
● Process accounts payable and accounts receivable, input and track data in accounting software
(QuickBooks), and provide regular documentation to the Board.
● Act as the first point of contact for reimbursement and budgetary inquiries.
● Monitor activities of grant funded programs to help ensure compliance with donor’s requests, and
schedule and produce all required financial reports.
● Assist the Board in annual budget creation, monitor finances throughout the year, report to the Board and
Treasurer via quarterly and annual statements, and assist in preparation for any SCBNA audit.
● Work with the Treasurer to prepare tax filings, such as IRS Form 990.
● Work directly with the Treasurer to develop the annual budget for consideration by the Board and to
administer the approved annual budget.
● Provide quarterly finance reports to the Executive Committee and provide additional budget-related
information to Board members upon request.
Conference Management (approximately 0.30 FTE):
● Assist the Board, NACCB planning committees, and local organizers to plan and execute biennial North
American Congresses for Conservation Biology (NACCB) and any other SCBNA-sponsored conferences.
● Serve on the Local Organizing Committee for NACCB; report on conference progress to SCBNA Board.
● Attend and serve as representative of SCBNA at NACCB and SCB-Global congresses.
● Track and manage the finances for NACCB and any other conferences and provide regular updates to
the SCBNA Board on NACCB finances.
● Work with the Board to determine conference locations, develop contracts with venues and other
conference partners, identify sponsors and exhibitors, and manage other aspects of the meeting planning.
Governance (approximately 0.10 FTE):
● Communicate regularly with the President and Executive Committee, and as needed with other Board
● Maintain updated Board membership lists; assist in maintaining committee membership lists and records.
● Support other SCBNA committee programs and needs as requested.
● Assist in coordinating and conducting Board elections.
● Assist in scheduling, preparation of agenda, and distribution of minutes for quarterly Board meetings.
● Prepare and manage documents for board meetings.
● Collaborate with the board in strategic and implementation planning.
● Work with the Executive Committee to develop the annual DOP work plan; prepare periodic
● Prepare evaluations of other staff when hired and provide recommendations to the Executive Committee
about staffing needs.
● The DOP is an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Executive Committee and is expected to assist in
scheduling, and attend as possible, quarterly Executive Committee meetings.
● Provide a monthly progress report to the Board.
Outreach (approximately 0.20 FTE):
● Serve as representative of SCBNA in interactions with other members of the SCBNA community, SCBNA
partners and collaborators, funders, and the public.
● Serve as a member of SCBNA and SCB-Global committees as requested by the Board.
● Facilitate local SCBNA chapter development, engagement, and planning activities.
● Assist in efforts to further SCBNA initiatives regarding justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity.
● Work with the Communications committee to maintain channels for member outreach, including the
SCBNA website, e-newsletter, social media and other communications.
● Work on other writing projects, and annual reports as requested by the Board.
● A Bachelor's degree and some experience with successful office management, accounting, or project
● Ability to work independently with little supervision and to collaborate with a wide variety of individuals
who carry out various volunteer positions within SCBNA (e.g., board, committees, other volunteers).
● Leadership skills and demonstrated ability to delegate where needed.
● Excellence in written communication, oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
● Computer literate and proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel). Proficiency in any/all of the
following highly desirable: QuickBooks; websites (Wordpress); database software; Canva.
● Interest in and working knowledge of conservation and ability to communicate with conservation
● Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel data and work with a wide range of people. Demonstrated
sensitivity and discretion in all aspects of work.
● Experience in equity and inclusion initiatives or training is desirable.
● Experience in conference/event planning is highly desirable.
● Must be able to travel to NACCB and other meetings (including international travel), generally once a
Salary and Benefits
● Anticipated starting salary is $53,000-$60,000, commensurate with experience and flexible for the right
● Benefits include medical and retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick leave.
● Travel for meetings.
● Professional development training.
Email resume and letter of interest in one PDF document to SCBNA President Elect Rebecca Hufft
(email@example.com). We will begin review of applications on March 31, 2023 and will continue
accepting applications until the position is filled.
Apply for Director of Operations and Programs
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert