Based in San Francisco and reporting to the Head of Environmental, Health and Safety, the Director, Environmental, Health and Safety will handle oversight of the daily EHS responsibilities for all Vir facilities observing all applicable Country, State and Federal regulations to protect the health and safety of Vir employees, protect the environment, and minimize risk to the company.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Manage EHS programs to comply with all local, state, federal and internal Vir requirements across multiple facilities.
- Lead the Vir EHS team and manage the EHS department budget across all Vir sites.
- Develop strategic plans to reduce risk and prevent uncontrolled introduction of new risks.
- Lead risk assessments and job hazard analysis reviews to ensure risks are identified and mitigated before new processes, equipment, or materials are introduced.
- Partner with site management to complete incident and near miss investigations to determine root cause and develop corrective/preventative action plans.
- Implement EHS programs to cultivate a culture of safety, employee engagement and environmental stewardship.
- Oversee EHS vendors including operations, expenses and budgets.
- Ensure regulatory compliance across all Vir facilities and manage EHS regulatory agency correspondence including inspections, requests for records, or surveys.
- Act as ARO for Select Agent Program.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in science, engineering or related field (or relevant experience) required.
- 10+ years of experience in similar role in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience creating, implementing, and managing EHS programs at operational sites on a tactical level.
- Managing teams across multiple facilities.
- Previous experience in a research facility or with animal EHS programs or with chemical inventory management.
- Experience developing and delivering EHS trainings, KPI reviews and EHS program performance updates.
- Experience responding to emergency calls on-shift, after-hours, and on weekends.
- Certifications - Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, or Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP).