Job DescriptionThe Molecular and Cellular Biology group is seeking candidates to join a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society. This role will be located at our research site in San Diego, CA. Research Scientists/ Molecular Biologist will be responsible for developing and implementing genetic and multiomics screening technologies to identify & validate new therapeutic approaches for severe diseases. Successful candidate will also be generating human cellular disease models using CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing tools. This is a highly visible role, providing the individual with an excellent opportunity to work closely with global research colleagues and to make a significant impact on patient health.Key Responsibilities:
- Utilize state-of-the-art technologies of functional genomics, proteomics and morphological profiling combined with machine learning techniques to identify novel ways of targeting disease causing genes/ proteins
- Apply functional genomics to interrogate complex disease mechanisms and identify mechanism of action of potential therapeutics
- Employ modern gene editing technologies to generate disease relevant human cell models
- Interact with internal & external partners to design and execute on specific project needs
- The candidate will collaborate in a cross-functional team, across several groups and project teams within the Vertex organization fostering a culture of engagement and scientific rigor
- Facilitate communication between scientists of vastly different scientific backgrounds
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 0-3 years of relevant post-doctoral employment experience, or
- Masters Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 3+ years of relevant employment experience, or
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 6+ years of relevant employment experience
- Demonstrated expertise in functional genomics, proteomics, gene editing, including basic research and applications to drug discovery
- Industry experience is a plus
- Works well as a team player and independently
- Strong problem solver who is highly multitasking, self-motivated, organized with the ability to thrive and lead in a matrixed work environment with rapidly changing priorities.
Salary range: $97,600 - $146,600 annuallyDisclosure Statement:The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.#LI-SV1#LI-OnsiteCompany InformationVertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.