World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Connectivity Specialist.
Position is responsible for developing statistical models and metrics of connectivity that will allow conservation planners and other stakeholders to manage landscapes for connectivity of focal wildlife species now and under future scenarios of land use and climate change. Leads analyses related to the assessment of wildlife connectivity throughout WWF's global priority landscapes. Work focuses on but is not restricted to priority WWF-US landscapes and species. Assumes project implementation leadership in research and analysis design; coordinates with partners, including government officials and donor organizations. Communicates the work and results to interested institutions including the WWF Network, donors, partner organizations, and the general public. Identifies opportunities for collaboration and fundraising to support wildlife connectivity.
- Analyzes movement data from focal wildlife species across various WWF priority landscapes and develops state of the art movement models (e.g., step selection functions, correlated random walks, etc).
- Develops resistance to movement layers using R and ArcGIS.
- Uses Circuitscape and related programs, algorithms, and approaches to produce estimates of connectivity, including evaluations of proposed movement corridors, suggestions of additional high-value connectivity areas, etc.
- Evaluates connectivity in the context of future landscape scenarios based on climate and land-use change
- Writes publishable peer-reviewed papers and gray literature to support policy goals based on the results above.
- Presents the above results in internal meetings and external fora, including in custom-designed training sessions on connectivity for interested WWF offices and partners.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 3 to 5 years' experience with statistical methods, including hierarchical Bayesian regression, path, step, and/or resource selection models, GIS, remote sensing, and data from satellite tracking collars and/or genetic data. Or 6 to 8 years with a graduate degree in movement ecology, wildlife ecology, wildlife genetics or related field; PhD preferred
- Understanding of alternate approaches to connectivity (e.g., genetic approaches and metrics, agent-based modelling) an asset
- Ability to work independently with big data sets and sophisticated data manipulation and analysis
- Familiarity with ArcGIS and the R statistical computing package, with preference for specialized packages such as Circuitscape, stan, and similar
- Experience working overseas on wildlife conservation is preferred
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Ability to work on initiatives with multiple and competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong communication and writing skills in English; additional language skills a plus.
- Energetic and passionate about conservation
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF's core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23078
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/6BWj8RtYLlE4ZtMOrtKpqM